You are here

dummy 13a plug with earth

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

dummy 13a plug with earth

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am

Know what I mean sport?

A plug with no live or neutral connections but a solid connection to the earth pin.

I can find plugs that have a high resistance earth outlet for static control but nothing with a solid earth.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: dummy 13a plug with earth

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:30 am

The only one I found was this one from Groundology:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/groundology-earth-connection-plug

Silly money -- because the market it's designed for can withstand it! -- but it is well made.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:51 am

My inclination would be to make one from a standard plug top. Maybe encapsulate the live and neutral pins internally in epoxy so there is no risk of the earth wire becoming detached and making contact with the live?

I do have slight reservations WRT safety so what does the 'hive mind' think?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:56 am

Sam Spoons wrote:My inclination would be to make one from a standard plug top. Maybe encapsulate the live and neutral pins internally in epoxy so there is no risk of the earth wire becoming detached and making contact with the live?

Yeah, 'I' could do that but I want the information for a very 'newb' person on another forum and a US (I think) mains supply.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm

Definitely a 'point him at the Groundology website' situation (assuming they do US plugs).

But, are US mains installations routinely 'grounded'? Outside my experience but if not ...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:My inclination would be to make one from a standard plug top. Maybe encapsulate the live and neutral pins internally in epoxy so there is no risk of the earth wire becoming detached and making contact with the live?

I did make one for exploratory use, although I consider myself an experienced user. That idea about epoxy is probably a sensible one for general purpose safety though.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Martin Walker wrote:

I did make one for exploratory use, although I consider myself an experienced user. That idea about epoxy is probably a sensible one for general purpose safety though.

Martin
I just followed Hugh's tip and used a couple of rounds of heatshrink.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Good idea, though TBH you could probably cut the L and N pins off at the end of the insulated part...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:26 pm

You could use a child safe ‘dummy plug’ and replace the plastic earth pin with a brass one.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Have someone 3D print some dummy live and neutral pins in plastic for the specific plug type and roll your own.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Most plugs, if not all, have removable live and neutral pins, so do that then the earth pin will locate the plug securely. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that first.
You could use the plastic pins from the dummy plug I mentioned first to glue into the holes left by the brass live and neutral pins.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:22 pm

I came here to point out exactly the same thing. It will plug in with just the earth pin. No live or neutral to worry about.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:07 pm

Ingenious, and obvious when you say it out loud :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, the guy Dave is trying to help may be in the US which would change things a little. However I will probably make myself one using that method. I like the extra rigidity having plastic L&N pins would give though they are probably unnecessary.

Just a thought, those flat fronted socket blanks would work but the pins would be a little short.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Yeah, hmm, see I don't really want to suggest the guy MAKES anything because he has no electrical knowledge AFAICT and I am after all suggesting he sticks something in a POWER socket!

Thank you all for your interest and suggestions though.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:47 pm

CPC sell the yellow plastic grounding plugs in different versions, 0 ohm or including 1M Ohm resistor, Stud or binding post.

Sam Spoons wrote:Now, the guy Dave is trying to help may be in the US which would change things a little.

Somewhat !

CPC are Farnell and might have a USA option in their USA store.
I got "Access Denied" when I tried to look.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Next