You are here

Speaker Monitors plugged into the same outlet

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Speaker Monitors plugged into the same outlet

Postby CaezarZinger » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi!

I am currently rebuilding my home studio so there is more space in my room for movement, recording space and so on and so forth.

I was wondering when it comes to easier cable management, if I plug the power cords into a 2-way adapter and then run a single extension cable from that to the power outlet, will that affect anything on how the speakers work and sound and will there still not be any hums and stuff emitting from the speakers?

I have learned that they should be plugged into the same curcuit, is this taking that to a whole new level? Or will it just ruin the system of it?
CaezarZinger

Re: Speaker Monitors plugged into the same outlet

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 pm

Welcome!

It will be no problem at all! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Hi CaezarZinger, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

+1 to Mike's response - having everything plugged into one socket makes perfect sense.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Luke W » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:41 pm

The only thing I'd add is that when you say "2 way adapter", do you mean one of the little cube type ones? In general I'd avoid those as there are some nasty ones around. But running both speakers from a fused multi-gang extension plugged into a single socket is both fine, and preferable, as said above. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Yep, I thought of mentioning that, but didn't want to complicate the issue too much ;)

I totally agree though - you're likely to get much better contacts and long-term reliability from plugging into a reasonable quality mains distribution board than one of those little cubes with sockets on all sides.

I wouldn't personally bother with a fused board though, as all items plugged into it are likely to be separately fused anyway, and of course the mains plug of the distribution board will have a fuse in it already.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Luke W » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I wouldn't personally bother with a fused board though, as all items plugged into it are likely to be separately fused anyway, and of course the mains plug of the distribution board will have a fuse in it already.

Ah yes, probably not the clearest thing I've ever written... I wasn't meaning to suggest one of the boards with a fuse in the body itself, but rather just an extension that's appropriately fused at the mains plug end.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction