You are here

Power Distribution

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Power Distribution

Postby kinglouis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:15 am

Hi,

Could anyone suggest a good power distribution box for my studio please. I'm trying to avoid contorting myself to turn the mains plugs on, and I have a preamp and keyboard that don't have their own on-off switch, and can only be turned on via the mains, which is frustrating. I've found this:
https://www.pennelcomonline.com/en/gb/P ... TMQAvD_BwE

which seems ideal as it has a switch per plug. There are also various Furman / Samson etc makes that are more commonly seen in the music shops. I don't really know the difference, only that the Penn Elcom looks the business.

Any thoughts very welcome!

Many thanks,

Alex
kinglouis
Regular

Re: Power Distribution

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:47 am

Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:06 am

I use something very similar to that Penn power switcher, and it is very good from a practical point of view... except that I've had some trouble with the switch contacts welding themselves closed due to the huge in-rush currents of devices with SMPS power supplies -- wall warts, line lumps, and internal supplies.

As a result, I've had to replace switches fairly regularly -- until I decided to re-engineer the design with solid-state relays controlled by the panel switches!

The Penn unit might have switches better able to handle the inrush currents... but it would be worth asking the question before purchase!

An alternative that actually works very well indeed is to use Energenie remote switched four-way plugboards:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-Trailing-Controlled-Protected-Sockets/dp/B003JT088S/ref=pd_sbs_60_3/258-5345153-1241418?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003JT088S&pd_rd_r=7b83f578-30eb-4c90-ac6c-18a65a5fd879&pd_rd_w=5q2Gy&pd_rd_wg=4d1a0&pf_rd_p=2304238d-df78-4b25-a9a0-b27dc7bd722e&pf_rd_r=QAEG0TQ5FDEJ0ECFE87H&psc=1&refRID=QAEG0TQ5FDEJ0ECFE87H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:38 am

I hadn't really considered this til the recent thread on the subject as I've been perfectly happy with my individually switched 6 gang but now you've given me a technically valid reason to swap it for a remote controlled one.

It's a pity really because reaching for and hitting those switches has been the only excercise I've been getting recently.

Ho-hum.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:58 am

Yes, those wireless mains switches are really handy things. You can get individual ones with a numbered keypad and the ones I have have an "All Off/ All On" button as well.

I have an elderly Sony 32" FSTV on the wall that serves as monitor for my living room PC but it sometimes dose not come out of standby, a mains cycle fixes it for a week.

Beware the very cheap diss' strips with 'surge protection' and filters. Some are wired such as to make the ground conductor dirtier!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:58 pm

That's a handy lot of comments, thanks - call me a Luddite but I still don't love relying on remote controls for things in the studio if I can help it, I still like buttons that go 'Ka-Chunk...' if I can.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:28 pm

kinglouis wrote:That's a handy lot of comments, thanks - call me a Luddite but I still don't love relying on remote controls for things in the studio if I can help it, I still like buttons that go 'Ka-Chunk...' if I can.

This is mains power chap and the switches are relays...get over yourself!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the consideration although I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be getting over - it’s my studio, if I favour switches over remotes that is my lookout.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:16 pm

ef37a wrote:Beware the very cheap diss' strips with 'surge protection' and filters. Some are wired such as to make the ground conductor dirtier!

Are you referring to their habit of adding chokes in series with everything Dave?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
ef37a wrote:Beware the very cheap diss' strips with 'surge protection' and filters. Some are wired such as to make the ground conductor dirtier!
Are you referring to their habit of adding chokes in series with everything Dave?
Martin

No Martin it is the practice of connecting two capacitors in series across the live and neutral and then taking the centre to earth. Yes I know earth and neutral are really the same thing but supplies that just have one cap either side of the choke are said to be cleaner.

In any case, waaaay ago we found that after the introduction of the Silicon transistor you needed the spike filter on the FRIDGE not the kit getting hit!

Oh! Do you mean an inductor in the EARTH wire? No, don't want one of them, no Sir!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster