You are here

materials for sound room ceiling (live drums)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

materials for sound room ceiling (live drums)

Postby DCarrigan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Anyone have thoughts on whether or not acoustic tile is overkill for the ceiling in a live sound room generally for natural acoustic jazz drums?
DCarrigan

Re: materials for sound room ceiling (live drums)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:56 pm

Going to need a lot more detail about the room to provide any sensible suggestions. Size, shape, height, floor material, wall materials, existing acoustic treatment would be good starting points. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:15 pm

And also, what you understand by 'acoustic tiles' and what you hope they will achieve.

And, as you head down the rabbit hole, welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DCarrigan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 pm

OK 17 x 12 room (mixing on one end and treated with absorbers bass trap. 2 ft. concrete walls framed, insulated and so far covered with homesite. Ceiling 9ft. above 10" rafters. Need to isolate ceiling from upstairs but don't want to kill sound with commercial accoustic tiles. thinking of filling rafters with Rockwool, adding rails and hanging homasote, giving me the ability to finish with absorbers/wood/whatver works. Acoustic tile was suggested but I think that will suck up drum sounds.
DCarrigan

Postby James Perrett » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:28 pm

I think this is probably going to be a far bigger job than you are currently thinking of. Acoustic tiles are going to do very little to prevent sound transmission and even a second ceiling probably won't do as much as you expect because the sound will just travel up the walls. At our old studio we tried building just a second ceiling under the original ceiling to separate the downstairs rehearsal room from the upstairs control room and drums in the rehearsal room were still fairly audible upstairs.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:44 am

Don't forget 'acoustic treatment' is different from 'soundproofing'. You will need acoustic treatment at the 'live end' around and above the drum kit or you will suffer with resonances and flutter echoes.

A jazz kit/player will be less loud than a full on rock setup but it will still be audible upstairs and short of building a full on 'room within a room' that will be unavoidable. A substantial floating drum riser should help reduce sound transmission into the fabric of the building which may gain you a few extra dBs.*

Forget about 'acoustic tiles' if you are thinking commercial 'suspended ceiling' type. They are designed for a different purpose, they do reduce echoes but are intended to improve speech intelligibility in the room rather than produce a balanced acoustic for music recording and mixing. Cheap foam tiles are pretty useless as they are usually too thin and often made from the wrong type of foam though those from a reputable source are effective. Rockwool panels are more effective still, pretty easy to DIY and look much better, given the choice they are definitely the way to go.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........