You are here

DIY baffles & acoustically transparent material

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

DIY baffles & acoustically transparent material

Postby Mark Alexander Leonard » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:35 pm

I might be planning to build some custom acoustic baffles soon. I noticed that some companies advertise using 'acoustically transparent' material to cover their baffles (like Camira fabrics).

I haven't compared prices to say regular cotton sheets, but is there likely to be much if any difference acoustically?
Mark Alexander Leonard
Poster
https://www.ebauche.net - ambient, illbient, and the unclassifiable!

Re: DIY baffles & acoustically transparent material

Postby RichardT » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Alex Leonard wrote:I might be planning to build some custom acoustic baffles soon. I noticed that some companies advertise using 'acoustically transparent' material to cover their baffles (like Camira fabrics).

I haven't compared prices to say regular cotton sheets, but is there likely to be much if any difference acoustically?

I haven’t done a comparison between it and standard fabric, but the reason for using Camira etc is to maximise the sound energy that actually gets into the absorber. I would have thought it’s worth the extra money not to compromise your panels!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:46 pm

Having done this myself not that long ago I agree that Camira fabric (I used Cara) is well worth the extra expense, quite apart from the acoustic properties* it is slightly stretchy which makes it much easier to work with and achieve professional looking results.

There are cheaper materials than poly cotton sheets, black weed fabric is super cheap and decorators dust sheets pretty cheap and both will work but, given the cost of the timber and Rockwool** (use RW3, it's the best compromise, rigid enough to be self supporting which makes it much easier to work than lower density RW and not so dense as to compromise acoustic performance), the difference between Camia fabric and something cheaper is not IMO, enough to justify going cheap, unless the budget really is tight.

* I don't think you would notice a difference in a casual listening test TBH.

** And the work involved...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:53 pm

The Camira fabrics (Cara is popular, but I prefer Lucia which has a finer weave) are not only stretchy (helping to give a very tidy fit and finish), but they are also flame retardant, stain resistant, and easy to clean (with a light vacuuming and/or a damp cloth!).
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Luke W » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:01 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Having done this myself not that long ago I agree that Camira fabric (I used Cara) is well worth the extra expense, quite apart from the acoustic properties* it is slightly stretchy which makes it much easier to work with and achieve professional looking results.

I'd second this. I was pleasantly surprised how my panels turned out having never worked with fabric before.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Mark Alexander Leonard » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Wow, thanks for all the replies! That appears to be a resounding vote for Camira :)

Now if only I can find a seller in Germany... :D
Mark Alexander Leonard
Poster
https://www.ebauche.net - ambient, illbient, and the unclassifiable!

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:35 pm

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:53 pm

So too, I think, will EQ Acoustics and Camira themselves. The former order direct from Camira but at a slight discount.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:49 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:So too, I think, will EQ Acoustics and Camira themselves. The former order direct from Camira but at a slight discount.

I think most suppliers have the fabric shipped direct from Camira to the customer - or at least all the deliveries I've had in the last 10 years have come from Camira - no matter who I actually ordered it from.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DanDan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:43 pm

You might consider fronting your traps with a 20-30mm layer of semi rigid polyester. It is flame retardant and ecologically sound. Autex UK have ceiling tiles with a toughened surface.
DanDan
Regular
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie