You are here

Bespoke studio desk design

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bespoke studio desk design

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:50 pm

Our forum is a bit fussy.... :wave: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:23 pm

The direct link from Imgur is the one to use. But they are all working in Safari now.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ken long » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:42 pm

3 pages in and we're still talking about the image links! :)
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:59 pm

Well, wood should arrive in the next couple of days, so I'll be talking about sanding, staining and finishing. Then hopefully assembling!

Don't worry, I think I have the pictures sussed now!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:11 am

The cut plywood is arriving today which is very exciting. But there are a couple of frustrations I need to address.

Firstly the company I ordered the furniture screws from (The long wood screws with the Allen key head) delivered a short fall. So I have to wait for the balance to arrive.

Not such a big deal as there is a fair amount of prep work to be done before assembly. I need to sand, stain and oil all the wood first. So they may well arrive 'just in time'.

The second is due to a little over optimism on my part. I made the gear slots widths in the in the riser exactly to spec...482.6mm or exactly 19". However the power distribution I bought (Innox) is not to spec. It measures 494mm so I will have to modify the ears with a dremmal. I could set the rack ears flush to to the front of the riser, which would slove the problem but I really want the gear inset by 5mm or so.
Why don't manufacturers read the specs! Grrr!

So advice to anyone attempting the same , give yourself a bit of skack for out of spec gear in you rack.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:46 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:The second is due to a little over optimism on my part. I made the gear slots widths in the in the riser exactly to spec...482.6mm or exactly 19". However the power distribution I bought (Innox) is not to spec. It measures 494mm so I will have to modify the ears with a dremmal.

That's nearly ½" :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:52 pm

The wood has arrived. I am well chuffed with the quality of the cutting. One stop DOY in Northampton thank you!

Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Tasty! I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes as I think your idea is a very good one and I'm tempted to do the same (albeit with a different desk design) myself :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Luke W » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:The wood has arrived. I am well chuffed with the quality of the cutting. One stop DOY in Northampton thank you!

I hear a lot of good things about the guys at that place, bit of a hidden gem there.

Also looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Moroccomoose wrote:The second is due to a little over optimism on my part. I made the gear slots widths in the in the riser exactly to spec...482.6mm or exactly 19". However the power distribution I bought (Innox) is not to spec. It measures 494mm so I will have to modify the ears with a dremmal.

That's nearly ½" :headbang:

I suspect you were a little optimistic going for exactly 19-inches moroccomoose, but I agree with Sam that a half-inch hike for your power distribution rack is tantamount to being slapped in the face with a wet fish :(

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Moroccomoose » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Progress report...
All of the dark staining is done and most of the clear protection is don. (I'm using Omsol Polyx which is designed foe kitchen surfaces. I is very good stuff, nice finish and easy to apply) I've since discovered that birch ply does not take stains very well, so the two tone is not as pronounced as I had hoped.

I have built the keyboard tray and it is fair to say this desk will be RUGGED! Slightly over engineered! Haha.

In the mean time, my nearest and dearest has suggested that I decorate my office/studio in honour of the new desk! So the desk construction is on hold for a couple of days. And studio stuff broken down ready for the room overhaul.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Luke W » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:I have built the keyboard tray and it is fair to say this desk will be RUGGED! Slightly over engineered! Haha.

That's never a bad thing, especially with sliding trays and the like. It'd be shame to put in this sort of work and end up with a wobbly desk :lol:

Sounds like it's coming along well, with the bit of decorating at the same time it'll be like a new space entirely.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm not sure something like this CAN be over-engineered. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:12 pm

Good luck with the decorating Moroccomoose - and keep those windows open to get some fresh air in as soon as the paint is touch dry ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Moroccomoose » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 am

So I finally got mu desk built. The build went extremely smoothly, which is testament to the CNC machining accuracy. If you are doing a DIY furniture build, I would definitely recommend finding a timber merchant with a CNC router.

Because a CNC router cannot drill into the ends of the panels, I had to do all of them by hand, which was a bit worrying as there was a high potential to make an expensive mistake! Fortunately the worry was misplaced and all went far more smoothly than anticipated..

It was weird, looking at the component parts as I was finishing them with wood oil, I was really worried that it was going to be too small. In fact the opposite is true, It is a bit of a beast! It is absolutely rock solid, again testament to the CNC routing giving me very well fitting parts. But I was using 24mm Ply so it is fairly chunky.

Here are some pictures. (In the newly decorated office! I'll post some more when it s fully loaded!

There are still some small jobs to do like fit the back panel and fit the blanking rack space blanking plates.

The biggest job will be making the cables neat. Any advice on that front will be well received!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

PreviousNext