You are here

Audio over CAT cable

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Audio over CAT cable

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm

I don't know if it is permitted to comment on a question from the magazine but I would like to offer my limited experience to the chap who has latency problems over a Dante installation cited in the January issue?

My small bungalow is festooned with CAT 5e cabling and have at least one double outlet in each of 5 rooms some with 4 ports. Mostly shielded.

I did a test some time ago with a Reslo RB ribbon setup in the "stoodio" bedroom and looped around the house and back to an A&H mixer feeding a 2496 card. The round trip must have been at least 30mtrs. The hum and noise level was very little worse than a 3mtr XLR feed directly into the mixer. 18 mtrs of well routed FTP should be totally silent. "tie lines" at balanced line level and headphones could be UTP IMHO.

The only snag I found was that crosstalk is not super low so don't send 'kick' and acoustic picking down the same four pair!

In addition to audio you can send basic colour video both ways as well (not in with mic signals tho'but!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Audio over CAT cable

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:26 pm

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Interesting info. A bit disappointed that crosstalk wasn't so good. Maybe that comes from the terminations where there is no twist in the pairs.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Folderol wrote:Interesting info. A bit disappointed that crosstalk wasn't so good. Maybe that comes from the terminations where there is no twist in the pairs.

If I get a chance Will I shall do the tests again. IIRC I sent a 1kHz sine down one pair at +4dBu and measured the signal on another pair (can't recall the distance but over 10mtrs) Again, brain fuzzy but about -50dB or so?
But, say you had mics on a singer/guitarist? You would be hard put to get 50dB isolation twixt twang and cake orifice? Similarly, how much inter-mic spill is there with six mics on a drum kit?

"Untwisted" terminations? The twist should be tight right up to the Krone blocks and that only leaves a few mm untwisted to the jack.

I understand (in principle!) that there are digital processes that reduce crosstalk in the network interfaces but this old valve jockey knows nothing of such things.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:50 pm

My buddy has wired up every room in his place with, i think he said cat6. He thinks it’s fantastic to be able to record or send video or audio to any room.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Half of my house was done in 'olden' times with cat5, and the more recent extension in 5e. Not tried using any of it for audio, but for internetty stuff it's fine.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby gullfo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:44 pm

i've been using pre-made CAT 5e and CAT 6 cables for snakes - i build some 3-XLR-to-1-RJ-45 matched pair boxes (female/male XLR) and store-bought 25', 50', 100' cables. 2 sets on the acoustic drums, and another 2 sets run around the room for mic'ing amps and acoustic instruments (total 12 mics/DI). very clean and quiet. never found any cross talk on the kick and snare mics. nice thing is, you can run pretty long distances by simply changing out the cables.
gullfo
New here