You are here

Bluetooth iPhone camera remote

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Bluetooth iPhone camera remote

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:47 pm

Presumably these devices generate a button press equivalent to the 'home button' on my iPhone 6S. Has anybody tried one to do other other functions such as starting/stopping a voice recorder or looper (which is achieved with a home button press if one doesn't have both hands occupied playing a guitar)?

I'm looking for a pocket sized, wireless 'footswitch' to control Loopy HD but could live with it controlling the WireTap recorder app or any other simple looper/recorder.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Bluetooth iPhone camera remote

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:36 pm

I wonder if you used the "set up shortcuts" function in Reaper to link to a Bluetooth device if you'd be able to identify what signal is being sent by the device.

Or is that not part of the issue?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby wireman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:40 pm

I don't know anything about this but I have been considering using a sheet music application which can be controlled by such a device.

Examples can be found under the Page Turners section of this page....

http://forscore.co/extras/

Perhaps starting here might get you on the track to something suitable.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes, sorry, maybe I should have also said that I have a couple of AirTurn BT page turners* which do work well but I'm looking for a small pocket/key fob sized device, even the AirTurn Ped is fairly bulky when teamed up with an phone.

#Shufflebeat, I have one I bought a fair while ago but can't get it to be recognised by the phone or MBP so I suspect it's either faulty or so old it is no longer compatible. I'm thinking about buying another but probably wouldn't bother if it can only do the camera shutter release and not other functions. I suspect that will be the case but thought it worth an ask on here before writing the whole idea off.

* I use them with "My Lyric Book" but will probably be looking for an alternative as support seem to have dried up for MLB.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:47 pm

A Kensington PowerPoint presenter would do the job if you can get one that doesn't use a dangler.

Also, a free laser pointer to torture the cat between takes.

You do have a cat, don't you?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:13 pm

shufflebeat wrote:A Kensington PowerPoint presenter would do the job if you can get one that doesn't use a dangler.

Will look into it :thumbup:

Also, a free laser pointer to torture the cat between takes.

You do have a cat, don't you?

We're all out of cats though IIRC we peaked at 13. We do have a Murphy who is enough trouble for 13 cats though so karma is maintained.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:32 pm

I've recently connected a PP presenter to my Android phone by way of a USB OTG without external power but couldn't say if it works in iOS world.

I'll have a go with the iPad this evening if I can gather the connecties.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:43 pm

I'm trying to get a completely wireless practice rig with my BT speaker, iPhone and some kind of footswitch, ideally key fob sized as it will be used for sofa practice. The power point controllers I found in google images don't have the best form factor so I looked further and found this Image but it isn't clear if it will do the job either. It is pretty configurable but less so on iPhone and tho cap it all I can't find any for sale so it may be discontinued anyway :headbang:

I've a feeling I'm going to have to just live with the AirTurn Ped and forget about the pocket sized bit...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Apple has all the cutest buttons, not fair.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Can you modify one of those remote car starters? Although the secondary consequences could be amusing.
:smirk:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:57 pm

The issue is trying yo get something the app or at least iOS will recognise. All these devices send a trigger signal in some form, the AirTurn works because iOS and the relevant apps recognise the trigger. The camera shutter works to trigger the camera because the iOS camera app is programmed to recognise it. But how it does so I don't know. If it substitutes for a click on the home button then its should work but if, as I suspect, it bypasses the home button and 'talks' directly to the camera app then it's unlikely to work. I might just end up buying one and trying it but I'm reluctant as I'm 90% sure it won't work...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:49 am

Trust the force, Luke!
I mean order from amazon so you can return it.
:idea:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)