You are here

Advice needed for listening room setup (irregular shape)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Advice needed for listening room setup (irregular shape)

Postby draelius » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 pm

Hoping I can draw on the experience of the experts here.

I have an irregular L-shaped room that I would like to setup as a listening room with the purpose of approving my band's tracks from the studio, mixing and mastering.

I realize the room isn't the best space due to its shape, but I hope it's not so bad that I cannot use it for this purpose and that I can be reliably sure what I'm hearing is true.

Any advice on where to setup my monitors and any acoustic treatment I should use?
draelius

Re: Advice needed for listening room setup (irregular shape)

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:31 am

One idea might be to set up diagonally facing across the corner of the L. You could put a corner trap in the small alcove in front of you and a ceiling panel above you. You would also want absorption at the ends of the L to prevent some of the sound from bouncing back to you but you wouldn't be so bothered by early reflections in a diagonal setup.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:41 am

I'd just add that it's a reasonably large space with moderately unequal dimensions so it should be easier to get a usable balance than a typical 4m square room. It's side might also allow for some fairly deep bass traps in the corners.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:40 pm

No expert here, but I'd be considering the same approach as James. Desk diagonally across the top left corner. Fill the triangular spaces behind with bass trapping.
broadband absorbers at the mirror point on the RH wall, the back of the bottom door and potentially on the sloping ceiling behind you.
Add a ceiling cloud and bass trapping in as many corners as you can and that should start you off.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby vetko10071979 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:18 pm

I just saw this thread, but I have some experience with room acoustics correction.
I would advise you to place the monitors in the upper right part of the room, along the short wall, the monitors should be placed at the same distance from the right and left walls. The listening position is against the wall. The window must be curtained with a thick curtain to avoid resonance from the glass. On the floor I also advise to place a carpet with a medium pile. In the corners, I advise you to place bass traps, preferably to fill almost the entire corner. Over the listening position place acoustic panels, as well as panels on the right and left wall covering about 60% of the walls, I advise placing the panel in the middle of the wall between the floor and the ceiling, so that they were mainly at the level of listening.
vetko10071979
New here

Postby Luke W » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm

vetko10071979 wrote:On the floor I also advise to place a carpet with a medium pile.

I'm not so sure about that myself. It's usually recommended to stay away from carpet entirely in listening/control rooms, and leave the absorption for the walls/ceilings.

Again, not an expert. But I have seen that advice given by people who's opinions I trust.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:57 pm

The problem with carpet is that it only absorbs the top end* so you can end up with a very boxy sounding room.

* a ¾" thick carpet will absorb nothing below about 8kHz
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby vetko10071979 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:21 am

I agree that using a thick carpet can distort the overall soundstage, but I was talking about a medium pile carpet, but that's just a tip.
And you can put it on the floor at the end, after installing the absorbers on the walls and ceiling, if there are resonances at high frequencies.
vetko10071979
New here