You are here

Genelec re-cone kits

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Genelec re-cone kits

Postby ilkka_rissanen » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:35 pm

necromunger wrote:from hhb a new driver is £510 and a recone kit is £333 but as i only need the outer foam part ill get the 3rd party kit from Germany. :angel:
Hello from Genelec!

Our 5 inch mid range driver is carefully manufactured using custom parts, specific damping glues and methods to apply them. It is not possible to replace just the foam surround using 3rd party kit because it will severely deteriorate the frequency response and distortion behaviour of the driver. We measure every manufactured unit here at the factory using strict tolerance limits which most certainly won't be met if using 3rd party kits and unknown glues.

1038A is a great sounding monitoring loudspeaker and it will keep performing for years to come, but only if original Genelec parts are used for servicing it.
ilkka_rissanen
GENELEC
Ilkka Rissanen
Senior R&D Engineer, Acoustics

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:08 pm

Welcome to the SOS forum Ilkka, and thanks for your comments -- I must admit I had been wondering/concerned if a DIY reconing would really be able to match the performance specs of an original ultra-high-quality midrange driver like this, so it's very helpful to hear your comments .
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby necromunger » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm

hi

problem is i dont use these to record music anymore and just cant afford 2 new drivers as a recone kit wont be any good to me then as never fitted one b4 but i think i can fit a 3rd party refoam kit.

i just need to keep them going until i can afford to fix them with new drivers but that could be years at this rate.

i have had these things way over ten years now as was the rears in town house studio and got them via funkyjunk.

i might get a year or more out of them yet b4 i have to do something but the one next to the window is way worse than the other one atm.

so if you could tell me what glue you would recommend to use would be a grate help as willl only get 1 shot at this as a last resort.
necromunger
Regular

Postby necromunger » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:05 pm

https://community.genelec.com/forum/-/m ... /1710144#/

pic here incase anyone has any ideas on how to patch up the foam surround.
necromunger
Regular

Postby gullfo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:36 pm

i've bought several kits, off the same vendor on ebay, for replacing the foam surround on a couple of JBL Control 1 speakers and an old Fischer speaker set. i've not done a re-cone or spider replacement. i suspect those are more critical than the foam surround.
basically the foam bits are a nice soft but dense flexible molded foam, and airplane glue to attach to the cone and the frame. cleaning the frame took the longest amount of time. and i let them sit a couple of days to solidify before testing.
speakers are happy. no more cone flapping.
https://www.ebay.com/str/ultraaudio1
gullfo
Poster

Postby necromunger » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 am

thanks for the link but i have the refoam kit from Germany and it will fit the speaker but from my crappy measurements the D part is 10mm on the kit but the original is 8mm and i can not find one with a d that small its either to wide or to short which imo these surrounds are custom made for this driver because they also need to fit the wave guide and i can not find any other driver that will fit in these monitors.

if i fit the kit i have i dont even know if it will fit back in the waveguide its so close i cant tell until i remove the driver and check for sure tbh.

this is what i have just no glue atm.
https://www.repairyourspeakers.com/en/s ... 6-10000069
necromunger
Regular

Postby gullfo » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:45 pm

you might have to do some custom (cutting) yourself to fit the waveguide. or maybe the manufacturer could help - they may have a set of rings with the right D size but the flanges need to be trimmed.
gullfo
Poster

Postby necromunger » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:53 pm

gullfo wrote:you might have to do some custom (cutting) yourself to fit the waveguide. or maybe the manufacturer could help - they may have a set of rings with the right D size but the flanges need to be trimmed.

i think it will be a last resort to take a Dremel to the wave guide and make the hole 1-2mm wider but imo it could be a option.

as far as i can tell genelec uses other manufactures for there drivers that are custom made to there spec.

so even if i found who made these things all imo i could get is a recone kit and i bet the foam surround is pre glued in place because i cant find anything to match what i have from any 3rd party.

but to be fair to genelec they are willing to still support my monitors that must be near 20 years old now and not many company's will do that these days just dont have the cash atm to fix them at the moment. :frown:
necromunger
Regular

Postby necromunger » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:52 pm

is this the right surround as best match i can find so far. :round1:

https://www.speakerrepairshop.nl/en/foa ... 1-20000033
necromunger
Regular

Postby necromunger » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:38 pm

never seen a recone kit like that b4 :shocked:

Genelec Replacement Midrange Diaphragm Kits For 1037B 1038C 341-3502V Need Foam

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193803374330

https://reverb.com/item/11718564-genele ... 038b-black

but again same problem i have got :headbang:
necromunger
Regular

Postby necromunger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 pm

well after going round the world i can not find a 3rd party refoam kit for these drivers as no one has made a mold of them yet.

but today i spoke to a guy in Holland from https://www.speakerrepairshop.nl/en/

and will be doing a road trip to the uk when cov19 restrictions are removed so could be the end of the year or early next year as needs to see some other ppl over here is is willing to come round and take this thing apart and get the correct measurements with his tools and make a mold for them.

so if you have these speakers and are having the same problem there could be a cheaper repair option in the near future to repair the foam surrounds. :beamup:
necromunger
Regular

Previous