You are here

I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:20 pm

And then, no doubt, notice the 12 boots sitting on the bench laughing at you :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:And then, no doubt, notice the 12 boots sitting on the bench laughing at you :blush:

Ah, but only once!

...or twice.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:49 pm

In the cables dept of the internet hardware factory I worked they had mainly ladies making RJ45 patch leads. The cables came as a bundle from the cut/stripping machine then one gal put on two boots, put them in a bin. The bin passed to another operative with fitted the plugs and crimped them...in another bin for an experienced person to inspect. Next into a test room for continuity and pin2 pin accuracy. Only THEN were the boots fitted. This factory worked to ISO 9001 specs. A sample of the whole day's output would be take upstairs where the boffins would check that they met Cat 5e spec on £40,000 analyser.

The boots were left until the last minute because if a cable failed a test the plug could be cut off and the cable re made. The wires were cut a few mm over length to account for this.

I would always look for another job if "cables" wanted folks for extra OT because it was just about THE most boring job in the factory! OK for the ladies because they kept up a constant stream of happy chat. About what I never discovered!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:50 pm

RJ45 headers are my least favourite connectors to fit, I have the tools, I have the knowledge, I have the cable tester (two off), I have the connectors (in a bag of 100), but I don't seem to have the knack* :oops: :headbang:

* maybe it's because I don't have the conversation?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:00 am

Sam Spoons wrote:RJ45 headers are my least favourite connectors to fit, I have the tools, I have the knowledge, I have the cable tester (two off), I have the connectors (in a bag of 100), but I don't seem to have the knack* :oops: :headbang:

* maybe it's because I don't have the conversation?

Oh? I did not mind doing them as a 'few off' for my own purpose. For production they don't strip much of the cable and it IS fiddly trying to lay 10mm lengths but where you are not bothered about economy, give your self a good 50mm and 'de kink' the wires, lay them tightly to the sheath and chop off the excess. A REALLY good pair of side cutters is needed, not those 'bent tin Woollies' jobs"!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:44 pm

My crimping tool has a couple of sharp cutters for stripping the outer (with a stop to get the length right first time) and for trimming the ends square. I bought 100m of Cat5e off B&Q's clearance shelf for a very silly price a few years ago and wired several network lines through the house. My most recent attempt to install a temp connection to my wife's dance studio for zoom teaching was fraught for some reason, it took me about 8 attempts to get a working connection :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Yes but Sam, if you strip the sheath to the dead length of the pairs you have quite a fiddle to get them parallel and with the 'crossover'. Much easier to to have 40-50 mm of wires, sort them out then cut to fit the plug.

Another tip:if you have a proper Krone punch down tool, take the scissors off. One day, sure as sausages, you will cut the wrong side of the block!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:07 pm

ef37a wrote:Yes but Sam, if you strip the sheath to the dead length of the pairs you have quite a fiddle to get them parallel and with the 'crossover'. Much easier to to have 40-50 mm of wires, sort them out then cut to fit the plug.

Yup I do/did, will try your method next time

Another tip:if you have a proper Krone punch down tool, take the scissors off. One day, sure as sausages, you will cut the wrong side of the block!

Dave.

No, just the dodgy plastic ones. Definitely need a proper one though, does this look ok for occasional use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-40417-Punch-Down-Tool/dp/B000Q5KLN0?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:28 pm

Do I get a prize for this one?

MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 pm

There's quite a bit of 'oops' going on there! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:58 pm

MarkPAman wrote:Do I get a prize for this one?

It’s a good job I lived on the ground floor of my last place, this situation almost pushed me over the edge many times. The neighbours called the police a few times, they thought, from the shouting, that someone was being murdered, but it was only mostly, when I had to solder those "works of the devil" DIN plugs, and left the covers off.
Do yourself a favour, just buy ready made leads, it’s just not worth the time and effort.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
ef37a wrote:Yes but Sam, if you strip the sheath to the dead length of the pairs you have quite a fiddle to get them parallel and with the 'crossover'. Much easier to to have 40-50 mm of wires, sort them out then cut to fit the plug.

Dave.

No, just the dodgy plastic ones. Definitely need a proper one though, does this look ok for occasional use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-40417-Punch-Down-Tool/dp/B000Q5KLN0?

Yes, that's the very chap I used for over ten years.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:07 pm

That's at least as good as anything I've ever done :oops:

ef37a wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:

Dave.

Yes, that's the very chap I used for over ten years.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, 'tis in my Amazon shopping basket...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:27 am

Yep, that one definitely deserves a special award Mark !

Most of us would just forget the far end, but it takes a very special person to remember to put it on, but put it on in the wrong place :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:56 am

My usual method of putting the boots on before even turning the iron on works well most of the time! I just got a little muddled on that occasion :oops:

I said some rude words, took the photo because I realised I'd think it was funny later, then I realised I'd have to unsolder both ends to correct it so had to say some more rude words!

:headbang:
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext