You are here

I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:54 pm

Tee hee... been there and done that myself too... That's definitely one where you need to go away and have a cup of tea, then come back refreshed and snip off both ends and start again...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Postby Luke W » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:07 pm

I'm vaguely recalling once having to desolder a connector because of the old "boot on the bench" issue, only to clean it all up, get distracted by something, and then solder it straight back on without the boot again :headbang:

Why I'm admitting it I don't know.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:28 pm

You think an XLR is bad... try discovering the boot on the bench when you've just soldered on a 21-pin Amphenol multicore connector (for one of the BBC's weird 7-way multis), complete with Hellerman rubber sleeves on every connection... ...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Now t hen...Many a 15A lighting plug got the rubber case cut with a Stanley knife because we
forgot to put it on the cable before we wired the plug! (bit o black lekkie's tape, nobody could tell!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:05 am

ef37a wrote:Now t hen...Many a 15A lighting plug got the rubber case cut with a Stanley knife because we
forgot to put it on the cable before we wired the plug! (bit o black lekkie's tape, nobody could tell!)

Shush - don't give all our secrets away Dave!
Martin Walker

Previous