You are here

Soundproof windows

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Soundproof windows

Postby Aled Hughes » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 pm

I have the great fortune of working in a very nice 'proper' studio with wonderful equipment, built before I was born, where noise leakage in or out simply isn't an issue.

That situation, I presume, will not Iast forever. It's also half an hour away, and I don't need the studio to do a lot of my work. I've been doing most of my work at home during lockdown, for example, and will always want a decent home setup.

We have also recently moved house, and I'm the also greatly fortunate situation of having have a decent size outbuilding (Around 6mx5m with a sloping 2.4m-ish roof) that will evetually become my home studio. This is very possibly our 'forever home', so I'm looking at this project as something long term!

I'll start a thread on the room in due course, but I specifically wanted to ask about windows.

The building is a garage (breeze block walls, around a foot in depth). Sound isolation seems pretty decent as is, and it sounds to me as though the windows/frames are the weak link.
Has anyone here used companies and products such as these - https://thesoundproofwindows.co.uk/nois ... o-windows/ , and are they worthwhile? It's going to expensive, I'll bet, but I don't mind that if they really work.

I won't be going for total isolation, but I'll certainly be going for the best practical results without major construction work. Not much seems to escape through the walls, so I thought about starting by looking at the windows.

Thanks
Aled
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Soundproof windows

Postby James Perrett » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:36 am

If you have thick walls then I think you'll find two windows with a decent air space between them to be far more cost effective. In my studio I have a standard double glazed window on the outside and a single glazed window on the inside. While my inside window is part of a separate structure in my current studio, I've used the setup with a single wall layer in a previous studio which worked well.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Aled Hughes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Thank you James,

I think the walls are thick enough for that.

Did you install yours yourself? My DIY skills are rather lacking, and I’m worried about getting a proper seal around the frames etc. - I’m quite sure a lot of sound is leaking in that way. Paying a proper company to come and do a proper job is appealing, it must be said.
But if it’s just matter if fitting two standard windows in place of one, then any window fitter should be able to, right.

I’ll need to do two windows. The other two opposite are now just looking into the garden shed, so I best plan would be to brick them up.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby James Perrett » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:50 pm

The outer double glazed windows were both installed by the builders of the respective properties and the inner windows were DIY. Where we needed opening windows we used some secondary glazing kits from one of the DIY stores but non opening windows were completely DIY - just buying the glass cut to size. It may well be worth talking to a good local window company if you don't want to DIY - while some just want to sell their standard products, others are good at responding to unusual requests.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Would installing one of the windows at an angle have any applicability to this setup, or is that strictly a control-room - live-room isolation technique?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby gullfo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:29 pm

the angled window is about optical reflection control, not isolation or acoustic reflection. in fact the angled window can (if installed in vertical walls) reduce isolation provided by the air gap.
gullfo
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 am

Interesting - I seem to remember installing multiple sets of glazing (triple IIRC) with the centre unit installed at an angle to help dissipate energy (or possibly to avoid a standing-wave buildup within that construction) as part of a sound-isolation strategy being mentioned in a SOS article many years ago.

Perhaps I misinterpreted, or misremembered.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:56 pm

I've always understood the angled centre pane of glass in a control room window was like that to prevent standing waves and resonance. The reflection explanation doesn't make sense to me as you'd still have reflections off the other two panes, I've been wrong about stuff before though...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gullfo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:32 pm

the absorption between the windows handles the cavity resonances. an 200mm air gap is not likely to produce significant standing waves which cannot be removed by the proper allocation of absorption and laminated glass...

the angle on the glass might have some acoustical properties if your microphone or other source is very close, but if you look at the refractions from the glazing, it's not critical for the room acoustics unless of course it's very large (in comparison to the room).

for example in the NYC Red Bull studio, the CR glass was ~3m H x ~4m W and was two panes of laminated 30mm glass, so those where angled as part of the wall angle, but perfectly vertical - damping of resonances was a function of the lamination and the air cavity absorption.
gullfo
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks for the explanation :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........