You are here

Mains filters

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Mains filters

Postby ef37a » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:33 am

I don't rate them much as a rule, at least not for our UK mains supply but I am desperate.

My new Blaupunkt telly goes into lockup mode at least once a week whereby I cannot do anything with it with the remote.
The service agents (UMC) have been very helpful and sent me a new remote in case the old one was chucking out corrupt data. It was fine for a few days then lockups started again.

I really like the TV and in any case I have too much 'family' on my plate atmo to get into sending it back to Amazon. I therefore want to try a mains filter in case crap is getting in that way, can someone suggest any good ones please? N.B! I am not paying out for a rackmounted Furby!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Mains filters

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi Dave

Not really my area, but a quick Google brought up this - among many others:

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-leads-connectors/connectors/power-connectors/iec-power-entry-modules-filtered

My considerable experience with CPC has been very good apart from one episode recently... but a quick 'Humpf... :protest: ' email brought an immediate, apologetic response and generous recompense.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:24 pm

Thanks Mike but I am not really looking for an 'equipment' filter, i.e. an IEC socket.

I have had a bit of a search and found a 'can' with two inductors in L&N and four shunt capacitors with (I assume) a VDR device between the filter pairs. It has 3 screw terminals for input and load. I shall have to put it in a plastic box but that is easy enough.

Of course! Almost every bloody mains strip is touted as a "Surge limiter and RF Filter" but I doubt many of then are a lot of good. But, if anyone knows of an effective '13A to 13A' ready made jobby please shout.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:38 pm

What you drinkin' Doc? That is 13A to IEC!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Yes... 13 A wall plug to IEC equipment plug WITH A MAINS FILTER BOX WIRED INTO THE MIDDLE OF IT!

:headbang: :wave:

Isn't that what you were after?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes... 13 A wall plug to IEC equipment plug WITH A MAINS FILTER BOX WIRED INTO THE MIDDLE OF IT!

:headbang: :wave:

Isn't that what you were after?
Thanks Hugh but not really. My problem is with an FSTV and so ideally I just want to plug it in however, I am not sure 'Surge Protected' strips are much good? The filter can I found looks to be my best bet (will post a link) and is only a few quid more than your find. Bit more work but no matter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akozon-Filter- ... 7PXT1BGAB8

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm

How about chopping off the IEC socket and wiring it to a distribution board?

I remember back in the old studio we used one of the filters in a can with suitable sleeving over all the exposed bits. It probably wouldn't pass H&S but it stopped our computer from hanging up. The hang ups started when someone put a pneumatic drill through the 3 phase cable to our unit so I guess the computer's internal filtering had been destroyed.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 am

ef37a wrote:I have had a bit of a search and found a 'can' with two inductors in L&N and four shunt capacitors with (I assume) a VDR device between the filter pairs. It has 3 screw terminals for input and load. I shall have to put it in a plastic box but that is easy enough.

Hi Dave,

This EMI/RFI/Common Mode Filter still needs putting into a plastic box, and is more expensive than the Amazon one you've researched, but it's got a good reputation and I suspect it could have a better performance than that Amazon one.

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/assembled- ... ested-pcb/

You can also buy the unpopulated PCB if you prefer to take that route.

Lots of technical info via the above link too, and if you're a glutton for punishment, download this PDF describing the design process ;)

https://www.schaffner.com.tw/fileadmin/ ... hockes.pdf

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby forumuser931182 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:54 am

This from Fixya,

Sounds like corrupted firmware. An update might be necessary. Try a hard reset to this set, and then check. There are two methods to reset TVs. The first is simple to do; a Hard Reset. The other is somewhat skilled; is a Factory Reset (System Reset). To make it a hard reset, just unplug the TV from AC mains wall socket, and re-plug it back after 15 minutes or so. If you do this by overnight is better. This procedure will make it a hard reset. If you want to make it a system reset [Factory Reset]; you have to enter its service mode option, and select the factory reset option. If you wish to get some details; check the site linked here. Pull up older posts. http://electronicshelponline.blogspot.com/
Service mode entry, adjust and exit procedure to many popular brand TVs are given. Never forget to exit the service mode, after all adjustments have been done.
Search the site by type in the "brand name" to your device; (Exclude the model number), in the "Search box at the top right of the display window of the Homepage" to get gathered related posts.
forumuser931182
Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:16 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
ef37a wrote:I have had a bit of a search and found a 'can' with two inductors in L&N and four shunt capacitors with (I assume) a VDR device between the filter pairs. It has 3 screw terminals for input and load. I shall have to put it in a plastic box but that is easy enough.

Hi Dave,

This EMI/RFI/Common Mode Filter still needs putting into a plastic box, and is more expensive than the Amazon one you've researched, but it's got a good reputation and I suspect it could have a better performance than that Amazon one.

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/assembled- ... ested-pcb/

You can also buy the unpopulated PCB if you prefer to take that route.

Lots of technical info via the above link too, and if you're a glutton for punishment, download this PDF describing the design process ;)

https://www.schaffner.com.tw/fileadmin/ ... hockes.pdf

Martin

Hi Martin. How is that schematic superior to the box I posted please? The latter has two, cascaded inductor stages, better I think all else being equal (I have not read the design process yet so that might shed light)

Forumuser: I have done a factory reset. The lady at UMC is extremely helpful and sent me detailed instructions and a service code. That seemed to fix it for a time but it went wobbly again. Since I have always got it back from lockup and since I have three other TVs I could watch if desperate, I am minded to see this problem through. I also think this is a firmware issue (NOT that I know FA about digital systems!) I suspect, if I keep bothering them UMC will look into it "back at the lab" and possibly send me a download to boot it with?

Such Fun!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 pm

ef37a wrote:Hi Martin. How is that schematic superior to the box I posted please? The latter has two, cascaded inductor stages, better I think all else being equal (I have not read the design process yet so that might shed light)

I'd agree that all things being equal, the Amazon one looks like it could be superior. However, a decent filter (like a Schaffner) would have quite a bit more information included. An FN2060 from Farnell is only slightly more expensive and comes with full technical info. I've used a few of them (though not for mains) and they've never given any trouble.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page