You are here

Best trap arrangement for weird angle

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Best trap arrangement for weird angle

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Is the apex high enough to put a horizontal 'cloud' across between both pitched sections? If so then you could partially fill the void with Rockwool and it will work as a bass trap and ceiling cloud in one. Other panels can just follow the mirror points principle.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Luke W » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Is the apex high enough to put a horizontal 'cloud' across between both pitched sections? If so then you could partially fill the void with Rockwool and it will work as a bass trap and ceiling cloud in one. Other panels can just follow the mirror points principle.

That's essentially what I've done, although I sloped it to get a larger amount of Rockwool in at the deeper end where I wouldn't need to stand.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:11 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Is the apex high enough to put a horizontal 'cloud' across between both pitched sections? If so then you could partially fill the void with Rockwool and it will work as a bass trap and ceiling cloud in one. Other panels can just follow the mirror points principle.

That’s a good thought, yes it’s high enough for that. My first plan was to mirror panel the sloping walls and put some bezel foam (all 2” thick) on th wall behind monitors. I’ll look into getting a cloud too.
gregims
Poster

Postby RichardT » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 pm

gregims wrote:

That’s a good thought, yes it’s high enough for that. My first plan was to mirror panel the sloping walls and put some bezel foam (all 2” thick) on th wall behind monitors. I’ll look into getting a cloud too.

I’d avoid foam and go for proper broadband traps / panels. You’ll get much, much better results.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:22 pm

RichardT wrote:
gregims wrote:

I’d avoid foam and go for proper broadband traps / panels. You’ll get much, much better results.

Yes, definitely....

The panels that will give the most improvement at the mix position are the ones at the mirror points, the ceiling mirror point is as important as the side walls (the back wall is usually a lot further away but still worth treating). If you could only have three panels, side walls and ceiling would be the ones.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I'd be inclined to keep it simple with rectangulat traps. One hangind down from the ceiling, a couple running parallel to the sloping walls and one behind your computer screen.

Is this what you’re thinking?

gregims
Poster

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:29 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
RichardT wrote:
gregims wrote:

Great point!

Yes, definitely....

The panels that will give the most improvement at the mix position are the ones at the mirror points, the ceiling mirror point is as important as the side walls (the back wall is usually a lot further away but still worth treating). If you could only have three panels, side walls and ceiling would be the ones.
gregims
Poster

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:41 pm

RichardT wrote:
gregims wrote:

If all I had available at the moment was foam, would it be better than nothing? Auralex 12x12x2 squares.
gregims
Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:59 pm

gregims wrote:
Music Wolf wrote:I'd be inclined to keep it simple with rectangulat traps. One hangind down from the ceiling, a couple running parallel to the sloping walls and one behind your computer screen.

Yes. You could mount the rear pannel horizontally at head height (when seated) for additional cover or, better still, squeeze extra pannels in (virtually ompossible to have too much trapping in a small room).
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby RichardT » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:06 pm

gregims wrote:
RichardT wrote:
gregims wrote:

If all I had available at the moment was foam, would it be better than nothing? Auralex 12x12x2 squares.

Yes. Particularly at mirror points it will definitely help. But it won’t do anything to improve the lower frequency room response.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:13 pm

RichardT wrote:
gregims wrote:
RichardT wrote:
gregims wrote:

Makes sense. I was going I start with mirror points today but I’ll get some panels for the lower end issues.

Yes. Particularly at mirror points it will definitely help. But it won’t do anything to improve the lower frequency room response.
gregims
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 pm

gregims wrote:

I know this was an answer to Music Wolf's post but you definitely need a panel at the ceiling mirror point, you might as well fill the void behind so as to make it more effective at lower frequencies. The three panels drawn in you pic don't look right to me, I don't know if that's because of the picture distorting perspective of a misunderstanding of the term 'mirror points' but, assuming your head hight to be a little below the monitor screen you need panels on the side walls centred at that that (ear) hight and one on the ceiling centred halfway between your monitor speakers and your sitting position. Behind the monitors the panel also needs to be at ear hight.

edit :- on looking again at the pic it's impossible to say how low the pitched ceiling goes before it hits a vertical wall, if that is much below ear hight then the 'ear hight' advice won't be correct so maybe this copied and pasted from the glossary will help

Mirror Points
The positions on the walls or ceiling where, if the surface was covered with an optical mirror, one or both loudspeakers could be seen in the reflection. The mirror point is essentially any position on a boundary where sound waves from a sound source - usually a monitor loudspeaker - will be reflected directly to the listening position. This is therefore the ideal location to place an acoustic absorber to prevent audible reflections.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:40 pm

It may not be entirely comparable without seeing how far down the ceiling slopes to as Sam says, but this is how I tackled my attic space which is a similar shape overall:

That's the test fit of everything before it was covered so it's a bit easier to see what's going on.

And that's a shot of the additional panels at the mirror points on the ceiling and a bit more absorption above the mix position.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:58 pm

Huge help! Thanks for all the input. I was able to snap some Better pics. Starting at the desk and looking up.

gregims
Poster

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
gregims wrote:

I know this was an answer to Music Wolf's post but you definitely need a panel at the ceiling mirror point, you might as well fill the void behind so as to make it more effective at lower frequencies. The three panels drawn in you pic don't look right to me, I don't know if that's because of the picture distorting perspective of a misunderstanding of the term 'mirror points' but, assuming your head hight to be a little below the monitor screen you need panels on the side walls centred at that that (ear) hight and one on the ceiling centred halfway between your monitor speakers and your sitting position. Behind the monitors the panel also needs to be at ear hight.

edit :- on looking again at the pic it's impossible to say how low the pitched ceiling goes before it hits a vertical wall, if that is much below ear hight then the 'ear hight' advice won't be correct so maybe this copied and pasted from the glossary will help

Mirror Points
The positions on the walls or ceiling where, if the surface was covered with an optical mirror, one or both loudspeakers could be seen in the reflection. The mirror point is essentially any position on a boundary where sound waves from a sound source - usually a monitor loudspeaker - will be reflected directly to the listening position. This is therefore the ideal location to place an acoustic absorber to prevent audible reflections.

Yeah not the best pic. Was trying to see if I was understanding the placement he was mentioning. I was going to go along each side wall and get the mirror points today as well as the wall behind the computer. I’ll also find them on the ceiling and get that covered.
gregims
Poster

PreviousNext