You are here

Best trap arrangement for weird angle

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Best trap arrangement for weird angle

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:21 pm

How high is the point where the pitched ceilings meet the walls either side of the mix position? If it's above head hight I'd place the panels horizontally centred at ear hight (or as high as possible) either side and another above centred halfway between the seat and the speakers. IME those three panels will get you 70% of the way there. Maybe using the foam panels on the sloping parts of the ceiling would be a practical use of it as they are not so critical (there may be a mirror point for the left speaker on the right hand sloped ceiling and vice versa).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gregims » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:How high is the point where the pitched ceilings meet the walls either side of the mix position? If it's above head hight I'd place the panels horizontally centred at ear hight (or as high as possible) either side and another above centred halfway between the seat and the speakers. IME those three panels will get you 70% of the way there. Maybe using the foam panels on the sloping parts of the ceiling would be a practical use of it as they are not so critical (there may be a mirror point for the left speaker on the right hand sloped ceiling and vice versa).

The ceiling is 7’4” up from where my chair is.
gregims
Poster

Postby RichardT » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:32 pm

Thanks for the photos. I would start by making sure you know where the mirror points actually are as you have a complex room shape! You can literally use a mirror to do this, along with someone to hold it while you sit in the listening position and look to see when you can see the speakers. You should look for mirror points for both speakers on each wall (though you may find only one).

If you’re planning to leave the monitors where they are I would angle them up more (though maybe you’ve already got that sorted and the photos don’t give a true impression)
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby gregims » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:15 am

RichardT wrote:Thanks for the photos. I would start by making sure you know where the mirror points actually are as you have a complex room shape! You can literally use a mirror to do this, along with someone to hold it while you sit in the listening position and look to see when you can see the speakers. You should look for mirror points for both speakers on each wall (though you may find only one).

If you’re planning to leave the monitors where they are I would angle them up more (though maybe you’ve already got that sorted and the photos don’t give a true impression)

Sounds good thank you! Yes, going to enlist my daughter on mirror-holding duty later. I think it might be angle and photo perspective on the monitors. Might angle them a bit more but the tweeters are at ear level when seated.
gregims
Poster

Previous