You are here

Building a soundproof outhouse to practice drums in

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Building a soundproof outhouse to practice drums in

Postby S2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:34 pm

I Just want to practice wrote:Just want to say how grateful I am to everyone responding with their ideas and experiences.
I didn't get the answer I wanted to hear but I got the truth. It looks like my practice shed is a no go.

I will have to look into renting a practice space and I could entertain am electronic kit but having played a few I'm pretty sure they aren't for me. I'd rather just use practice pads for a fraction of the cost.

I'll buy a few lottery tickets too, just in case.

Thanks everyone.

Seriously, they have come on leaps and bounds. Try one of the Roland VAD kits - basically an acoustic looking kit, but electronic.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_vad506_e_drum_set.htm

Not cheap I'll grant you, but if you were thinking of spending on an outhouse....

Alternatively one of the TD series are a bit cheaper. I've played acoustic kits since the 80's so I'm definitely not an electric kit guy either but the current ones are very good.

Or just a Bill Sanders practice pad kit!
S2
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:19 pm

blinddrew wrote:Depending on how long ago you last played an electric kit, it might be worth looking at them again. They are improving all the time.

This.

My drummer is old school, been playing for decades and he was a Bonham fan, so his go to kit was a Ludwig he bought in the early 70s when touring and doing sessions. He's now got a top shelf Yamaha kit (a 920K) which he's got permanently installed in his living room and the Ludwig has not seen the outside of the boxes for a long time.

Cheap it ain't, but you may be surprised.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:41 pm

Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Previous