You are here

Building Tesla's 6 speaker sound

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Building Tesla's 6 speaker sound

Postby ckay77 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi folks. I'm looking to get some design and equipment advice on building a somewhat unusual sound setup.

Ultimately I want six speakers being driven by six sources (each playing a different sound). Like old-school quadraphonic but better by two channels (hexaphonic?).It might be interesting (but not necessary) to be able to "rotate" the sound around the six speakers.

I've got six identical quality non-powered speakers. Looking for recommendations for a decent quality setup (e.g, soundboard/amp/pc setup vs phone and blue tooth speakers).

FYI: I'm trying to build something called (at least according to Tik Tok) a Torordial Harmonic Energy Activation Resonance Circle. There are six speakers in a circle playing six different frequencies (630hz, 360hz, 540hz, 270hz, 450hz, and 180hz). Supposedly it's really cool to sit in the middle of this. Apparently, I have enough free time at the moment to visit this rabbit hole. If you do too, would love to hear from you.
ckay77

Re: Building Tesla's 6 speaker sound

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:38 pm

It would be easier if you had powered speakers. All you would then need is an audio interface with six outputs, plug them in and use a DAW (Reaper - free to evaluate) to play the required tone to each output. As it is you are going to need an amp for each speaker, but if you can get that part organised the same procedure applies.

I wouldn't go mucking about with Bluetooth or any of that stuff - the simplest approach will get you there.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 pm

Thinking about this a little further...

In truth you don't really need six speakers. Four speakers and a bit of basic surround panning would enable you to place each tone between any pair of speakers - effectively allowing you to place your six tones anywhere around you. Since most basic surround AV systems allow for up to five speakers (plus a sub) that would be an economical way to achieve what you're aiming for, providing you can get it into a format the amp will reproduce.

If the amp has direct 5.1 inputs it would be simple, but those have become increasingly rare. Failing this you would have to generate a compatible 5.1 output format e.g. DTS.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:47 pm

I can think of a lot more interesting stuff to listen to via multiple speakers than a series of static tones... Seems a lot of effort to go to for that! :think:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:05 pm

ckay77 wrote:(at least according to Tik Tok)

I've nothing to add to the wisdom of my learned colleagues above, but in all honesty I wouldn't consider social media of any kind a reliable guide when it comes to these things.

ckay77 wrote:Torordial Harmonic Energy Activation Resonance Circle

Do you really think that's a real thing in terms of benefit? :headbang:

I'd recommend a walk in the woods in preference. But whatever you do, I wish you the best with it.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:10 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I can think of a lot more interesting stuff to listen to via multiple speakers than a series of static tones... Seems a lot of effort to go to for that! :think:
:thumbup: 'The War of the Worlds' surround mix for one - still the one I go back to for reference. What an achievement!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ckay77 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 am

Thanks for all the ideas!

I think this could be like binaural beats on steroids.

Three amps each sending a two channel signal seems reasonable (each channel will cover one of the six frequencies). The three "tracks" could be made on Audacity and fed to each amp. Let's see what my brother and I can come up with. Something tells me that being about to "spin" the sound frequencies might be worth exploring.

I know this whole thing is out there. Historically, if a tone hits just right for me, I get goosebumps. Meditation, a walk in the woods, and other activities can also produce a shift in the "feeling of things" and help with a soothing experience of "non-normal" consciousness. Apparently, these types of experiences can be good for us. So, I'm always on the look-out for healthy ways of finding that space.
ckay77

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:51 am

Could be cool. I attended an event where a professor was discussing his research for helping Alzheimer’s patients by subjecting them to a note around a low “E” I think it was. The positive results were temporary.
Please post your results.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Please post your results.

Indeed - love some feedback from your guinea pigs!

There's an awful lot of experimental audio techniques out there that claim to change the mid/body/spirit - I once encountered someone in our local high street offering free 'Gong showers', and while it was a fascinating experience, I had to sit down again afterwards as I felt giddy with energy ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ckay77 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:57 am

Thanks for the encouragement.

I am currently looking at the Focusrite SCARLETT-18120-3G 3rd Gen USB Audio Recording Interface which might be in the pocket for this build.

I will update the thread as things develop. If it works, I'll post pictures of it and of me burning all my other earthly possessions.
ckay77

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 am

Sorry, that was a bit mean of me. I'm certainly a believer in the beneficial powers of sound, even if rather sceptical about pure tones as opposed to nice music, but I recoil from the words Torordial Harmonic Energy Activation Resonance Circle!

I do hope you get some positive results from your experiment :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:23 am

ckay77 wrote:Thanks for the encouragement.

I am currently looking at the Focusrite SCARLETT-18120-3G 3rd Gen USB Audio Recording Interface which might be in the pocket for this build.

I will update the thread as things develop. If it works, I'll post pictures of it and of me burning all my other earthly possessions.
Unless you need the extra facilities, a Tascam US16x08 might give you all you need for a bit less cash.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:21 pm

I've had several Yamaha AV amps (currently I have an RX-A1060) that have 5.1 inputs. I imagine you could probably pick one up very cheaply secondhand.

I'm sceptical, but I would be interested to see how you get on.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:56 pm

I wonder if the .1 channel has any filtering built in?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm

blinddrew wrote:I wonder if the .1 channel has any filtering built in?
It wouldn't matter - I'm suggesting using surround panning to the full-range speakers.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next