You are here

Home office/Studio layout and sound issues

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Home office/Studio layout and sound issues

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:20 pm

All good advice here from people who, mostly, have been there and done it. I treated my studio during a refurb about 3 years ago and made my own panels. You say you are not DIY competent but building broad band panels is not difficult even with minimal skills. If you do buy in I'd suggest at least three panels each a standard 1200 x 600 mm and 50mm thick, try to space them off the walls and hang at the side mirror points and, if at all possible, the third one on the ceiling above you and the monitors. Add a duvet (in a nice cover maybe) hung across the wall behind the speakers (half hight if you want some light, as long as they are between the speakers and the wall/window) and you should hear a huge improvement.

Gik do have a very good reputation, I bought my fabric from them and they were very easy to deal with. They sell really nice looking panels for around £60 each, mine cost slightly more than half that to build so not too expensive. If the guy Drew mentions is the same, ebay, seller I messaged him twice and got no reply. I'm pretty sure this isn't him (seem to recall he was in South Yorks somewhere) but these prices and sizes are pretty much the same as Gik https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Large-Acoustic-Panels-BLACK-Broadband-Absorber-for-Pro-Home-Studio/184305088424?hash=item2ae97077a8:g:2fQAAOSwKNlc5SNG

I have K702 and like them.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:38 pm

Beqpod wrote:About the reflection points, would foam be ok for this? Or again is some kind of rockwool panel needed for the job.

Also, although I pulled the table away from the end wall, is that necessary? Is it better out from wall or closer? I see so many home studio pictures right up against the end wall and no acoustic treatment and I'm baffled as to how these setups function :headbang: .

You'll probably get away with acoustic foam slabs at the side reflection points, as low-end absorption isn't as critical here, but 60Kg/m3 rockwool would still work better. YOu'll certainly benefit from rockwool in the corners for bass trapping.

As for table position, the oft-quoted 'easiest/flattest position to avoid the worst of the room mode peaks and troughs (even before acoustic treatment) is to have your head positioned at 38% from the front wall, so stick your chair there, place your table a suitable distance in front of it and see whether or not that would work for you.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby RichardT » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Beqpod wrote:About the reflection points, would foam be ok for this? Or again is some kind of rockwool panel needed for the job.

Also, although I pulled the table away from the end wall, is that necessary? Is it better out from wall or closer? I see so many home studio pictures right up against the end wall and no acoustic treatment and I'm baffled as to how these setups function :headbang: .

You'll probably get away with acoustic foam slabs at the side reflection points, as low-end absorption isn't as critical here, but 60Kg/m3 rockwool would still work better. YOu'll certainly benefit from rockwool in the corners for bass trapping.

As for table position, the oft-quoted 'easiest/flattest position to avoid the worst of the room mode peaks and troughs (even before acoustic treatment) is to have your head positioned at 38% from the front wall, so stick your chair there, place your table a suitable distance in front of it and see whether or not that would work for you.

Martin

Exactly right! I would only add that if you need to prioritise one purchase rather than another, in your situation I would give acoustic treatment a higher priority than stands. I’d also say that acoustic treatment is an investment - if you buy or make good treatment you will be able to use it not just in this room, but in the next too.

I’m a happy customer of GIK. I’ve added acoustic treatment piece by piece over the last year or two and each piece has made things better. I’ve also done a bit of DIY with Rockwool too!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Previous