You are here

Would these acoustic panels I spotted help improve the acoustics for this room?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Would these acoustic panels I spotted help improve the acoustics for this room?

Postby user184921 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:02 pm

The room: https://imgur.com/a/DWgphah

I've got a long hallway-shaped living area, and I'm wondering if putting some acoustic baffles (spotted a good deal for 22 of these acoustic office baffles, pictures of baffles in album) on the walls and ceilings (on ceiling would either be in cloud or baffle orientation would improve the acoustics in this room.

I've taken a picture of the living room to show possible placement for the baffles/panels. The left side of the living area is mostly windows, but wondering if putting the panels all over would help at all.

Looking to make the acoustics as good as possible for DJing (from where the DJ decks are), watching movies (from where the COUCH is), and listening to music (mostly from the DESK area on the floorplan).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
user184921
New here

Re: Would these acoustic panels I spotted help improve the acoustics for this room?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:13 pm

user184921 wrote:I'm wondering if putting some acoustic baffles ...on the walls and ceilings ... would improve the acoustics in this room.

Well, they will probably help soak up some of the HF splashing around... but they won't do anything for the low end at all... and that's a really challenging space to do anything with, especially with cross-wise PA speakers facing a wall like that, with glass directly behind!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Would these acoustic panels I spotted help improve the acoustics for this room?

Postby RichardT » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:42 pm

It’s a very, very challenging space, as Hugh says. I really don’t have a clue if it’s even possible to get good sound in that space, especially if you’re listening across narrow dimension of the room with the windows behind the speakers.

Plus you’re using PA speakers as near field monitors so that will limit the sound quality you can get anyway.

Those office baffles will probably help a little, but not very much.

If it were me I would consider using headphones. The sound you get from the PA speakers in the room will be nothing like the sound you get from them in a large space, anyway.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 pm

user184921 wrote:The room: https://imgur.com/a/DWgphah

I've got a long hallway-shaped living area, and I'm wondering if putting some acoustic baffles (spotted a good deal for 22 of these acoustic office baffles, pictures of baffles in album) on the walls and ceilings (on ceiling would either be in cloud or baffle orientation would improve the acoustics in this room.

I've taken a picture of the living room to show possible placement for the baffles/panels. The left side of the living area is mostly windows, but wondering if putting the panels all over would help at all.

Looking to make the acoustics as good as possible for DJing (from where the DJ decks are), watching movies (from where the COUCH is), and listening to music (mostly from the DESK area on the floorplan).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well it would help some, but I would also use cylindrical bass traps columns, such as TubeTraps: they look nice and don't take immense space. When DJing people wants to dance and they cannot care less if one or two bass notes dip occasionally, and they're moving anyways..

The only challenge is that good cylindrical bass traps are expensive.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby user184921 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
user184921 wrote:I'm wondering if putting some acoustic baffles ...on the walls and ceilings ... would improve the acoustics in this room.

Well, they will probably help soak up some of the HF splashing around... but they won't do anything for the low end at all... and that's a really challenging space to do anything with, especially with cross-wise PA speakers facing a wall like that, with glass directly behind!

I'm open to rearranging the space for optimal acoustics. For the given area, what would you say is the best layout for acoustics when having a mix?

I was thinking about getting some Adam A5X/A7Xs to use for the majority of DJing sessions (small scale), and use the PAs for bigger capacity DJing sessions (maybe in conjuction with some monitors if the PAs are placed far away).
Would you say some Adams would sound better for these small sessions?
user184921
New here

Postby user184921 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:20 pm

RichardT wrote:It’s a very, very challenging space, as Hugh says. I really don’t have a clue if it’s even possible to get good sound in that space, especially if you’re listening across narrow dimension of the room with the windows behind the speakers.

Plus you’re using PA speakers as near field monitors so that will limit the sound quality you can get anyway.

If it were me I would consider using headphones. The sound you get from the PA speakers in the room will be nothing like the sound you get from them in a large space, anyway.

What orientation would you recommend for best acoustics? I'm happy to move stuff around for best acoustics when mixing/watching TV, nothing is fixed in place.

The PAs are QSC K12.2s, does that make any difference? As they are supposed to be very high quality.

Would something like the Adam A5X/A7Xs do better acoustically in this area? I want to play the music from some sort of speaker when DJing, I like to feel the music physically too.
user184921
New here

Postby user184921 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:24 pm

CS70 wrote:
Well it would help some, but I would also use cylindrical bass traps columns, such as TubeTraps: they look nice and don't take immense space. When DJing people wants to dance and they cannot care less if one or two bass notes dip occasionally, and they're moving anyways..

Would something like this do?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133400011819
And what difference would having a couple of these make to the acoustics in the room? And where would they be placed to have the best impact?
user184921
New here

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:28 pm

user184921 wrote:Would something like this do?
And what difference would having a couple of these make to the acoustics in the room? And where would they be placed to have the best impact?

These are the general idea, but I cannot judge the specific of these models, as I don't know Bluetone Acoustics. Not a deep expert as I've just gained enough knowledge for myself, but the main advantage of tube traps with respect to regular bass traps is that they take less space and they look nicer. Since bass waves are omnidirectional (think of an expanding sphere with the speaker in the center), traps can be placed anywhere so long they are in the path between you and the reflections. Corners double the absorption so it's usually a good place, and so is directly behind the speakers (between them and the wall) as well.

As of the difference, there's quite a lot of resources on the internet that explain what bass traps are and why they are useful - the gist is that low-end reflections tend to create stable patterns of interference in a room, which can cancel of double the volume of certain bass notes in specific points in the room volume. That is not good if you're mixing a record and your ears are in that point - because you will compensate for something that's a property of your position, not the recording.. But for DJing is less important.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:36 pm

CS70 wrote:...the main advantage of tube traps with respect to regular bass traps is that they take less space and they look nicer.

And generally have less effect, too... Bass wavelengths are big. So effective absorbers usually need to be big too. It's physics. At only 1m high and 30cm diameter I really wouldn't expect a pair of these to make any appreciable difference.

Tube traps can be a useful addition to conventional room treatment, but placement in relation to the room's modes is absolutely critical, and a great many tubes may well be required.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby RichardT » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:38 pm

user184921 wrote:
RichardT wrote:It’s a very, very challenging space, as Hugh says. I really don’t have a clue if it’s even possible to get good sound in that space, especially if you’re listening across narrow dimension of the room with the windows behind the speakers.

What orientation would you recommend for best acoustics? I'm happy to move stuff around for best acoustics when mixing/watching TV, nothing is fixed in place.

The PAs are QSC K12.2s, does that make any difference? As they are supposed to be very high quality.

Would something like the Adam A5X/A7Xs do better acoustically in this area? I want to play the music from some sort of speaker when DJing, I like to feel the music physically too.

I’m not sure whether there’s any way to set your room up for good sound. I don’t have the expertise, to be honest, as it’s outside my own experience. I understand that you need the physical feedback from speakers - I feel the same.

If you’re ok with spending quite a lot of cash, you could contact GIK and ask them for free advice on what you need. If you want to treat your room with products from them, I would expect it to cost more than GBP 1000 though. You’ll need quite a lot.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:55 pm

Richard T wrote:If you’re ok with spending quite a lot of cash, you could contact GIK and ask them for free advice on what you need.

For the avoidance of doubt, several acoustics products manufacturers will offer FREE advice. You just fill in a form and upload a plan of your room, and they come back with a list of recommended products and placements. Obviously, they hope you invest in their plan, but there is no commitment. They are usually pretty helpful.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:58 pm

user184921 wrote:
CS70 wrote:

Would something like this do?

You'll have to pay VAT and import duty on top of the published price if you're not in an EU country... the seller is in Poland.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 pm

And the quoted charge for Standard Delivery from outside UK is £100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
CS70 wrote:...the main advantage of tube traps with respect to regular bass traps is that they take less space and they look nicer.

And generally have less effect, too... Bass wavelengths are big. So effective absorbers usually need to be big too. It's physics. At only 1m high and 30cm diameter I really wouldn't expect a pair of these to make any appreciable difference.

Tube traps can be a useful addition to conventional room treatment, but placement in relation to the room's modes is absolutely critical, and a great many tubes may well be required.

When I was looking at my own space, ASC TubeTraps were one of the solutions I was looking into and I remember reading that they would perform equivalently to a similar volume bass trap, while being quite more expensive. But nicer to look at (at least for me :))! But I haven't experimented personally so I can't really say.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Richard T wrote:If you’re ok with spending quite a lot of cash, you could contact GIK and ask them for free advice on what you need.

For the avoidance of doubt, several acoustics products manufacturers will offer FREE advice. You just fill in a form and upload a plan of your room, and they come back with a list of recommended products and placements. Obviously, they hope you invest in their plan, but there is no commitment. They are usually pretty helpful.

Yes you’re right Hugh, but I think it’s unethical to use these services if you have absolutely no intention of buying any products from anyone. Hence the way I phrased it.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Next