You are here

Streaming room needs acoustic treatment

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Streaming room needs acoustic treatment

Postby Hail1984 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:47 am

Hello everyone, I hope you're well.

As part of my business I stream on social media and have just moved to a new premises. It needs some treatment, and rather than just buying various foams, I thought I'd take some advice on here.

The only audio is my voice, which I've attached a recording of.

I don't have any multi-track editors with EQ on them to try and narrow down the worst resonances (my 16 year old 2002 sound-engineer aspiring self would be horrified).

I guess it could be worked out by the dimensions.

Can anyone give me some treatment solutions?

Pictures:

https://pasteboard.co/JYzRJEx.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/JYzRRrJ.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/JYzRZmp.png

Audio:

https://voca.ro/1JDPQswdRfqG

Thanks for any replies.
Hail1984
New here

Re: Streaming room needs acoustic treatment

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:07 am

There's a certain amount of ambience on that recording and, given that the walls are all bare, a few Rockwool panels would certainly help. If you are on a budget then DIY is the way to go but there are plenty of suppliers of ready made panels. Rockwool panels tend to be more effective than foam panels. If you are on a really tight budget then a few duvets hanging from stands would also help.

I'd have to say that the most annoying thing about your recording, to me, was the plosives. It is always best to speak across the microphone rather than into it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hail1984 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:23 am

No budget per se, so I'll explore those options.

Sorry about the plosives. I don't have the mic as close when streaming so it's not usually an issue.
Hail1984
New here

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:25 am

A super cheap option that works surprisingly well is to use beach towels, the thick type, if you find an inexpensive (or free) supply. If you layer many of them within a wooden frame (say 120x60cm) that you make, you get a quite good broadband absorber. Make sure the sides are the usual 10cm and the towels fill it all. Cover the result with elastic speaker cloth and they look every bit as good as any.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am

You don't necessarily need Rockwool panels... although they are regarded by many as the de facto solution for acoustic treatment.

I work almost exclusively with spoken word and have treated my room with various sizes and colours of these:

https://www.studiospares.com/acoustics/acoustic-panels/studiospares.htm

Most, but not all are mounted 25mm off the wall to increase their effectiveness. Works well and I get a good recording in conjunction with other 'procedures':

1) Always engage the hi-pass filter... I set mine at 90Hz, but chose the point which is best for your voice;
2) When the room is properly treated, as has been said don't speak directly into the mic. I have mine set at about forehead height pointing down to the corner of my mouth;
3) Don't work the mic too close... I set mine at about 25cms/10 inches from my mouth... you can do this when the room is properly treated.
4) Beware hard shiny surfaces like desk-tops and computer screens! I use cot-duvets if necessary to stop reflections from such surfaces.
5) Choose your mic with care! I've been through loads of mics trying to find the 'right' one for my voice... For a more natural sound avoid the 'broadcaster' mics... but chose one whose characteristics suit your voice. These days I tend to prefer a capacitor mic, but the Beyerdynamic MG201 is an excellent mic which was a staple of BBC voice studios for many years. It needs plenty of gain though so either a good preamp or an in-line 'booster' will be required.

Hope that is all of some use... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:17 am

Normally, it’s not necessary to worry about particular resonances when you’re thinking about room treatment (at least for domestic use).

I agree with James that a few broadband panels would make a significant difference.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Hail1984 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:45 pm

CS70 wrote:A super cheap option that works surprisingly well is to use beach towels, the thick type, if you find an inexpensive (or free) supply. If you layer many of them within a wooden frame (say 120x60cm) that you make, you get a quite good broadband absorber. Make sure the sides are the usual 10cm and the towels fill it all. Cover the result with elastic speaker cloth and they look every bit as good as any.
Appreciate the suggestion.

I am looking for solutions that are aesthetically pleasing as I won't always be using the green screen and I spent a lot of time in this room with working from home (all the time).

RichardT wrote:Normally, it’s not necessary to worry about particular resonances when you’re thinking about room treatment (at least for domestic use).
Thanks, I was thinking about it too much in that respect.

Mike Stranks wrote:Hope that is all of some use... :)
It was, thanks you.

I still have my old equipment I bought in the early 2000s, including an Edirol UA-1000 external soundcard and the AKG C3000 I use.

I do have a Rode K2 valve mic, but it's more of a fuss to setup.

I didn't think of the high pass. The C3000 has it on the side of the mic so will give that a try.
Hail1984
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:08 pm

A duvet behind the green screen will probably help but not sure how much, I'm guessing it will be less effective than it would be without the green screen depending on how reflective to sound the GS fabric is.

The other places that will be effective will be behind the camera/monitors, out of shot to the left and right and the ceiling.

DIY acoustic panels are easy to make and can look very good. But getting them to look good means buying a good quality finishing fabric like Camira Cara which costs about £10.50 a metre (1.7m wide). a typical 1200 x 600 mm panel will use roughly 750-800 mm. Total cost to build each panel is around £30, about half the price of commercial panels.

edit : correction, the fabric is £10.45 +VAT
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........