You are here

Wiring dual subs

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Wiring dual subs

Postby mozart999uk » Fri May 07, 2021 9:58 am

What's the best way to wire in dual subs in my studio (when the subs don't have slave outs)?

I have stereo xlrs out from my monitor controller that currently go into my sub and then out of that into my RL906 tops.

To add a second sub, should I use an xlr y split cable or is a passive splitter box better?

Was thinking to split after my monitor controller.....

I'd rather not use anything with DSP in it . Just a clean split.....

EDIT: I suppose the other option is just to go left out - sub1 - top, and then right out - sub 2 - top. Any implications with bass and stereo with this setup though?
mozart999uk
Regular

Re: Wiring dual subs

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 07, 2021 10:25 am

mozart999uk wrote:To add a second sub, should I use an xlr y split cable or is a passive splitter box better?

Passive splitting of an analogue feed, either via a splitter cable or a passive split box, is perfectly acceptable. It's why the matched-voltage paradigm we've used for decades was invented!

Was thinking to split after my monitor controller.....

Yes. You could split the left and right outputs to feed the stereo inputs of both subs (assuming the subs generate a mono sum internally)

EDIT: I suppose the other option is just to go left out - sub1 - top, and then right out - sub 2 - top. Any implications with bass and stereo with this setup though?

This is the option I was going to suggest. It's much simpler and easier from a wiring point of view, obviously, and since most commercial music already has mono bass it wouldn't make any acoustic difference anyway.

But there is also an argument that stereo bass is a good thing from a sense of spatiousness... assuming the room and the sub placement supports it.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Wiring dual subs

Postby mozart999uk » Fri May 07, 2021 10:31 am

Great. Thanks Hugh:-)
mozart999uk
Regular