You are here

Dua Lipa "New Rules" - what is happening?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Dua Lipa "New Rules" - what is happening?

Postby songwriter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can explain to me what happens rhythmically or technically before the main chorus of Dua Lipa "New Rules" comes in? has there been a time signature change? I can't work out how they have done that really interesting rhythmic change just before the chorus starts each time.

Thanks

Matthew
songwriter
Poster

Re: Dua Lipa "New Rules" - what is happening?

Postby Trumpetman1234 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi,

It’s just a dropped first beat with a fill. It gives the impression of a more complex rhythmic device - especially coupled with the unaccompanied bar of vocal directly preceding it - but the time signature doesn’t change. The groove is therefore briefly shifted by one beat which is a nice hook.

T-Man
Trumpetman1234
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 pm

As T-Man says there is no change of tempo or time sig. If it was real drummer It would sound like he'd cocked up and managed to pull it back together :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 pm

It's got a kind of half-bar feel to it as well...

One, don't pick up the phone / You know he's only calling 'cause he's drunk and alone
Two, don't let him in / You'll have to kick him out again
Three, don't be his friend / You know you're gonna wake up in his bed in the morning
And if you're under him / You ain't getting over him

...here.

I've got new rules, I count 'em
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby songwriter » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 am

Sorry I haven't replied to you! I forgot to turn on notifications - thanks for taking the time to answer my question!
songwriter
Poster

Postby bubisa.ljubisa » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Trumpetman1234 wrote:Hi,

It’s just a dropped first beat with a fill. It gives the impression of a more complex rhythmic device - especially coupled with the unaccompanied bar of vocal directly preceding it - but the time signature doesn’t change. The groove is therefore briefly shifted by one beat which is a nice hook.

T-Man

And that makes the sound and the song so contagious :D
Cant get it out of my head for days. She has some of the hottest sounds right now. Can't wait to hear her perform live :)
bubisa.ljubisa
New here