You are here

Playing & Singing

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Playing & Singing

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:05 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'm pretty much there with playing and singing (though I'm pushing myself to do more riffage whilst singing rather than just chord work), but I'm finding it really difficult to add a pedal board to the combination as well... :¬(

It's just more of the same - the trick is proper practice: meaning you really think about the sequence of movements first, and then you practice it slowly and *identically*. Slowly, really, is only so that you can play the very identical sequence of movements every time. Not "about the same", but really the same, as much as you can (you get more adaptable once you know it). Say, "play, sing, engage the gain on the final word, sing more, play alead, turn the volume on the guitar down and disengage the gain" and so forth.

I use a lot of different pedal combos in different parts of songs, and granted - the first time it's hilarious, but when you practice properly it just takes a few times to work just fine. It's the same as holding they guitar with respect to your body - if you hold it differently every time, you can never be sure of where a fret is, but if you are consistent, you won't even need to look.

Obviously you need to build the arrangement so that there's time to switch things on and off.. that often is a difference between a live song and the studio version, where live you have the occasional bar or more so that you can switch things around :)

For example in the song linked in the video in my signature (which is really the studio version), it'd be impossible to play really like that live.. so usually we add a bar between the end of the chours and the verse and between the verse and the instrumental, so I can move the guitar up, turn the volume on and engage the delay and the boost, and then disengage things in the end when restarting to sing.

As a consequence a factor that's important is the position of the pedalboard and the mic must be similar every time. For example, I put it at an angle on the right, displaced towards my right foot, and use the secondary boom of the mic stand to get the mic near my mouth - if it's a "tripod" stand I must take care that the long leg is right under the boom.

But so long you find something comfortable for you it's fine, so long you set it up the same every time. After a while, if you are consistent enough, you don't need to even look to hit the right pedal :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:44 pm

The folk singer Nic Jones had an incredible ability to play really difficult guitar stuff, in perfect strict tempo, while singing over the top with apparently complete rhythmic freedom. I guess part of this was just sheer natural ability, but a lot of it was practice. I'm told he would learn the vocal parts and the guitar parts separately, and get them both to the point where he could do them without needing to concentrate at all before putting them back together.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 pm

CS70 wrote:
It's just more of the same - the trick is proper practice
Yep, there's still no substitute for more hours in the day!

CS70 wrote:As a consequence a factor that's important is the position of the pedalboard and the mic must be similar every time. For example, I put it at an angle on the right, displaced towards my right foot, and use the secondary boom of the mic stand to get the mic near my mouth - if it's a "tripod" stand I must take care that the long leg is right under the boom.
Also yep, I've got this pretty stable now for practices, it can get a bit tricky on cramped stages, but I've got a good building block.
It all comes down to more practice for me. I'm certainly no Nic Jones! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Bunk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Can you sing when driving the car? Kind of the same thing in a way (although my in car singing is woeful!)
One of the first things I was told when having guitar lessons was that all you're doing is teaching your hands to do something they're not used to. Once you've done that you're on your way. Which really means, as has been mentioned several times before, practice...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Previous