You are here

Stuck with my music and need advice

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Stuck with my music and need advice

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:14 am

Write some BAD songs. Ones that don't come up to your standards. But write lots of them, and FINISH them.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby wdsteele » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:56 pm

I'd say watch this documentary - doesn't matter if you are a fan or not ; I think it's a very inspiring insight into song writing and the kind of challenges to expect along the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -that-bind
wdsteele
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:

Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REojIUxX4rw :lol:

Perfect!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Don't wait for things to be perfect or even good before you put them down.
It's hard to keep all in your head. But make parts - say lyrics - even if they dont make much sense, just for the sound, so you have something to anchor to. Add a chorus, a bridge, a solo.

And, don't keep doing more than one or two at a time. Two allows you to switch when if get bored of the one. More than two, you ain't going to finish anything.

Last: don't tinker. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:34 am

If you've already got lots of great riffs/parts/verses whatever, you've already got potentially finished songs, because you can mix and match them, just change the key.

A 3 min pop song, all 8 bars is, intro, verse1, verse2, CHORUS, verse1 verse2 CHORUS, middle 8, verse1 verse2 CHORUS.

So we need, 5 diff bits, an intro, verse1 verse2 CHORUS & middle 8.

CHORUS is the best bit, the verses should lead/guide you to it. the two verses can be similar or different, either way the second verse usually gets little bit more attention, more of something good in it, stronger voice leading & or another instrument whatever.

The intro is important as it tells those that know what's gonna follow, you gotta start right, so start as you mean to go on, this could simply be the seperate instruments and drums whatever, that appear in the coming verse entering the affray one by one leaving the last part bass maybe to sound as the verse kicks in.

Decide wot you're best bit is and make that your CHORUS then work the verses, use the same riff for both verses, but just have stronger voice leading on the last bars to lead into the CHORUS. Also with verses change a couple of snare fills whatever...

Think of your whole song and each part as living within a I-V-I (harmonic) structure, point being all composing is, is, using the same notes but in a diff order, the rules are written, you leap and you step through the intervals, you, me, Beethoven , 'endrix, it's the same for all us.

Try this, C to C all the white notes, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, play/syncopate the 1 3 5 to a beat, they're stable, they're not going anywhere are they, ok this time, when you hit the 5 play 4 3 2 1, now there's movement yes, so write a bassline that moves, and then add a brass fill that stays where it is...

There's 3 things you need to achieve it, Ears Ears & Ears, you need to realise that this or that riff is not up to it and therefore find a better/stronger note or two, voice leading, a hook.

Again all any of us can do is step and leap through the intervals and you'll be using the same intervals in every part, jus' in a diff order, 'ow 'ard's that mate.

USE YOUR EARS. 'tis them that seperates the men from the boys bruvver.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:00 pm

LdashD wrote: you, me, Beethoven , 'endrix, it's the same for all us.

Er, maybe that should've been, Beet'oven...

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Just a thought, (and I'm only a very occasional songwriter) if you were able to complete the songs where you wrote the lyrics first why not sit down and write some lyrics and then look through your ideas archive for bits of music to fit the completed lyrics?

In fact, this year I'm going to do exactly that, thanks for the inspiration :)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:22 am

Make a radical change in your life and go in search of inspiration and meaning. The music will follow.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby turbodave » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:22 pm

Imagine you had one chord...just one chord to work with....how would you take the listener on a journey with just one chord. Arrangement is about the journey, retaining interest and delivering a musical message.Utilise sounds and textures to add/ subtract from the overall sound...dynamics as well...and if you use lyrics try and connect the words with the sounds in even an abstract way....and as others have said...enjoy the process. Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster
My head hurts!

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 pm

turbodave wrote:Imagine you had one chord...just one chord to work with....how would you take the listener on a journey with just one chord. Arrangement is about the journey, retaining interest and delivering a musical message.Utilise sounds and textures to add/ subtract from the overall sound...dynamics as well...and if you use lyrics try and connect the words with the sounds in even an abstract way....and as others have said...enjoy the process. Dave

Just yesterday I listened again - and wrote about - Nathan East and Paul Gilbert's "One chord challenge". It's so much fun that I try to do that quite often at rehearsal, just jam over one chord (different voicings of course are allowed) and see how much stuff I can invent before I start to get repetitive. With a little attitude, it's pretty amazing how long you can go on - change the attack, the sound, the accents, syncopation, notes in the scales, speed of playing, intervals you use, feel of the notes, swing etc. So much for the need of "ear candy" and all the bleeps, beeps, bells and whistles of today's music.

The downside is that if I write a song afte that, it doesn't really gets a lot of harmonic movement.. if you can last half an hour on a single chord, a few chords progression allows you a hundred things to say in four minutes!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:34 pm

turbodave wrote:Imagine you had one chord...just one chord to work with....how would you take the listener on a journey with just one chord. Arrangement is about the journey, retaining interest and delivering a musical message.Utilise sounds and textures to add/ subtract from the overall sound...dynamics as well...and if you use lyrics try and connect the words with the sounds in even an abstract way....and as others have said...enjoy the process. Dave

Some jazz players have developed the "one chord trick" to a fine art! You tend to end up admiring their technique more than their music though :-) Another approach is to stick with one melody note but different chords. It's easy to demonstrate how a single note can be harmonised by a chord based on ANY other chromatic note.

Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby petev3.1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:44 pm

I seem to remember that Haydn wrote a string quartet for a friend where the viola plays just one note throughout.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby tacitus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Purcell, 'Fantasia upon one note' might be the one you're thinking of ...
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:The amazing thing is that, just occasionally, someone with no musical training, no apprentiship playing in bands - nothing but a bedroom full of gear and a wannabee attitude - CAN come up with something worthwhile. Particularly if they can hook it onto a social movement.Don't count on it though :-)

I thought my lug'oles were burning, there you go Exalted 1, my bruvver, proof of the pud,

https://www.youtube.com/user/ringpullrecords

only diff is me gears in me living room.

& this is pseudo classical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIJvcTAxJk

jus' transpose the synths, in your mind, to orchestral instruments, pizzicato strings etc...

Postby sludge369 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Try listening to Springsteen's bigger tracks.
They're skilfully blended collages of different musical ideas.
sludge369

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 02, 2016 1:32 am

LdashD wrote:
& this is pseudo classical?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIJvcTAxJk

I liked the track, but I struggle to equate it with classical to be honest. But as I said, I like it!

Much as I strive to escape classical, I get inevitably drawn back to it now and again. May Day & Whiskey = a shameless mention of something I put together a while back: Classica, Part I. There is a part II but it's unfinished and rather different. I've yet to figure out what it wants to be :crazy:

Actually, I mention it because it's one of the less listened to pieces on my soundcloud page and I think it deserved more than that. C'est la vie!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Previous