You are here

Stuck with my music and need advice

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Stuck with my music and need advice

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:34 pm

turbodave wrote:Imagine you had one chord...just one chord to work with....how would you take the listener on a journey with just one chord. Arrangement is about the journey, retaining interest and delivering a musical message.Utilise sounds and textures to add/ subtract from the overall sound...dynamics as well...and if you use lyrics try and connect the words with the sounds in even an abstract way....and as others have said...enjoy the process. Dave

Some jazz players have developed the "one chord trick" to a fine art! You tend to end up admiring their technique more than their music though :-) Another approach is to stick with one melody note but different chords. It's easy to demonstrate how a single note can be harmonised by a chord based on ANY other chromatic note.

Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby petev3.1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:44 pm

I seem to remember that Haydn wrote a string quartet for a friend where the viola plays just one note throughout.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby tacitus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Purcell, 'Fantasia upon one note' might be the one you're thinking of ...
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:The amazing thing is that, just occasionally, someone with no musical training, no apprentiship playing in bands - nothing but a bedroom full of gear and a wannabee attitude - CAN come up with something worthwhile. Particularly if they can hook it onto a social movement.Don't count on it though :-)

I thought my lug'oles were burning, there you go Exalted 1, my bruvver, proof of the pud,

https://www.youtube.com/user/ringpullrecords

only diff is me gears in me living room.

& this is pseudo classical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIJvcTAxJk

jus' transpose the synths, in your mind, to orchestral instruments, pizzicato strings etc...

Postby sludge369 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Try listening to Springsteen's bigger tracks.
They're skilfully blended collages of different musical ideas.
sludge369

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 02, 2016 1:32 am

LdashD wrote:
& this is pseudo classical?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIJvcTAxJk

I liked the track, but I struggle to equate it with classical to be honest. But as I said, I like it!

Much as I strive to escape classical, I get inevitably drawn back to it now and again. May Day & Whiskey = a shameless mention of something I put together a while back: Classica, Part I. There is a part II but it's unfinished and rather different. I've yet to figure out what it wants to be :crazy:

Actually, I mention it because it's one of the less listened to pieces on my soundcloud page and I think it deserved more than that. C'est la vie!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Previous