You are here

How common is dovetailing?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

How common is dovetailing?

Postby wuubb » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:37 am

It's something I've recently discovered and have actually found myself using quite frequently in my compositions, most often in fast, technical sections in an attempt to give wind players breathing room (I myself am I trumpet player so I understand that we wind players need oxygen ).

I've seen it occasionally in music that I've played, but not that often, but could that be just because I'm a brass player? I'm just curious if it's a good technique to use or if all the really good composers use it.
wuubb
Regular
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein

Re: How common is dovetailing?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:34 am

It's very common.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby permanent_daylight » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:05 am

In orchestral music it would be hard to find a piece without it...in my experience at least.

It is generally something i try out to make things more interesting. Its a good way of adding counterpoint.
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby artzmusic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:59 pm

It's used very often in instrumental jazz but not for the same reasons as for woodwinds. After the final "head" of the song each player will take his own 2 or 4 measures dovetailed to the previous player until each has added his final signature to the tune then out. A way of each player to give his final 2 cents worth!

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby TheMiller » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:58 pm

wuubb wrote: I'm just curious if it's a good technique to use or if all the really good composers use it.

I'd turn that on its head... If someone doesn't know that wind players need to breath, then they are not a good composer.
TheMiller
New here

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 pm

TheMiller wrote:If someone doesn't know that wind players need to breath, then they are not a good composer.

My wife learned that the hard way, fortunately while she was still at uni.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.