You are here

"Come Dancing"

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

"Come Dancing"

Postby alexis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 am

Sam Spoons wrote:You mean this one this one ...?

Yes indeed that one. The one that has been burying its musical riff into my parietal lobes for the past 12 hours and counting since I clicked on your link. Thanks a lot, bud.

And I've been whistling it for about the same period of time around my co-workers, which might be why my head hurts also. (They said they didn't especially *want* to bonk me with boards, but it was the fair thing to do under the circumstances. Can't complain, I suppose).
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: "Come Dancing"

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:36 am

I'm a massive Kinks fan. What always surprises is how many of their early tracks have 'videos' compared any other band of that era.

Does anyone recall a video of Kirsty McColl being driven around London in the back of a taxi singing her cover of days. At the very end the taxi driver turns around for the first time & it's Ray Davies. I'm beginning to think I imagined it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby alexis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:49 am

^^ I don't know what the definition of a "good song" is, but if it includes ones that are instantly memorable and make everyone who hears it want to sing along with, these guys were fantastic song-writers IMO. Then on 2nd and 3rd listen, the words are more than filler one realizes as well. (I'm not sure about Lola, though, and I'm not sure I really want to know either!).

You Really Got Me - amazing song for the time, Lola, Come Dancing, Dedicated Follower, those are ones I can sing the hook to instantly. And that first one, YRGM, can it claim to be the first power chord song"?, Van Halen sure enough paid homage to them (just looked up the Van Halen video, it is comical in what the camera shows, dang the 80s were OTT, but the music is great ... but I think I still like the simple power of the black-and-white 1965 TV version of the Kinks better ...) .

I'd bet AC/DC and Guns 'n Roses played You Really Got Me a zillion times in the bars growing up as well. As well as me growing up too, though my song composition depressingly morphed since those days to something much closer to Barry Manilow-type music than killer rock tunes like what those other guys could write :frown: .

I like the Kinks!

(Plus any connection with Chrissy Hynde adds 2.5 to anything in my book. What ... a ... voice!!).
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:53 am

I liked the Kinks but not enough to buy their records, it's only recently that i realised it was because i didn't like 'is voice, great music though.

Yes alexis art/music should be memorable, it's hooks that make music so, be it Beet'ovens 5th the glorious ninth, or Yeah You Really Got Me, etc, so even the likes of Sugar Sugar by the Archies and its ilk, deserves credit for worming their way into our lug'oles.

No idea why you sound like Bazza, but as a writer you are wot you listen to, maybe it's being piped at work? or your parents maybe?

But even Bazza can sound groovy in the right hands, er ears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvPNDrEtx1s

my ears in fact.

If i'm any good 'tis because of wot I've listened to was good, you are wot you listen to, so listen carefully bruv.

Postby The Bunk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am

Sam Spoons wrote:You mean this one this one ...?

Always absolutely loved this one. And it contains one of my favourite lyrics: "...he didn't know the night would end up in frustration. He'd end up blowing all his wages for the week...all for a cuddle and a peck on the cheek". Brilliant.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue May 03, 2016 3:34 pm

I can't think of a more English songwriter than Ray Davies. Can you? Songs like Village Green Preservation Society or Do You Remember Walter or, indeed, Come Dancing. English to the core.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed May 04, 2016 1:38 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:I can't think of a more English songwriter than Ray Davies. Can you? Songs like Village Green Preservation Society or Do You Remember Walter or, indeed, Come Dancing. English to the core.

CC
The greatest English songwriter of our time by a country mile is Nigel Blackwell. For What is Chatteris...Genius, no other word for it. Also check out National Shite Day & We Built this Village on a Trad Arr. Tune. Any track on CSI Ambleside or Achtung Bono defined folk music for a generation. Massively under-rated lyricist.

Frank Turner probably deserves a mention.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby mick.n » Wed May 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:

Does anyone recall a video of Kirsty McColl being driven around London in the back of a taxi singing her cover of days. At the very end the taxi driver turns around for the first time & it's Ray Davies. I'm beginning to think I imagined it.

I have never been able to listen to this song & keep a dry eye......wether its the Kinks version or Kirsty McColl's.

Beautiful, but at the same time, painful.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Speaking of girls singing Ray Davis' songs, Kate Rusby's version of 'Village Green Preservation Society' is just fabulous....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 04, 2016 4:52 pm

FWIW I wasn't thinking of the greatest English songwriter but the most English. I'm unfamiliar with Nigel Blackwell but I'll look him up. Otherwise I'll stick with Ray Davies for his love and ability to express the character of England and the English, a sort of songwriting Bill Bryson.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2016 8:22 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Speaking of girls singing Ray Davis' songs, Kate Rusby's version of 'Village Green Preservation Society' is just fabulous....

I'd not heard that version of the song. Excellent, thanks.

CC [/quote]

Bloody Nora must be me, I prefer Dave's vox, she sounds like a zillion other trite yankee birds.

Seein' as lyricists is getting a look in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjEMHtSCU9M

I got the 7 inch vinyl, wot a flippin' geezer, London boys like The Kinks.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 04, 2016 9:24 pm

That's a bit of a step LD, given that she's from Barnsley (and sounds it)......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 am

Once you take personal preferences out of the equation, mine being say The 'orrible 'oo and The Beach Boys, then objectively, the true greats, Kinks, Faces, Who, Beach Boys, etc are all as good as each other.

If pushed I would say that Brian Wilsons songwriting (especially arrangements) is a cut and a half above most, if not all from that era, but you don't 'ave to 'ave 'is genius skills to write a decent tune.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 05, 2016 5:46 pm

No argument regarding the good Mr Wilson, definitely a cut or two above the norm.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster