You are here

Production/Beat Making

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Production/Beat Making

Postby LiamH2013 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi,

I am trying to learn and further enhance my production skills.
I did try to post this in the production section but I only have read access.

So I have read computer thoery for musicians.
I am happy with chords and scales. I have watched 100's of videos but still, always notice something missing from my music and never really know what i am doing.

I just wanted to know how everybody else learnt, Was there a go to book I should read or tutorials. I know people say just keep practising but I will never improve if I keep practising the same mistakes.

So what Im saying is I start off with chords, I add a bass, I add drums and then I add a melody, I dont really know how to build into a chorus and how to make chorus. I don't know what instruments I should be using. Do i need a lead do i mix the melody up. I guess this is just the creative part and wonder how everybody else got so good.
LiamH2013
Poster

Re: Production/Beat Making

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Is there a particular genre you're interested in Liam? I suspect that whilst there are probably some things that are fairly universal there are probably other bits that work better in some fields than others.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby LiamH2013 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for reply,

I am trying to make Pop/Dance(House) music.

Here is one of my better tracks https://m.soundcloud.com/liamhickey/summerfornia

I like this one, I know mix is awful but like were its going, but still, Somethings are missing, compared to other tracks its missing alot of elements.
LiamH2013
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 21, 2016 1:29 pm

It's not really a genre I'm familiar with but there are a couple of things that come to mind with this track.
First and foremost, you have the basis of a good track here (to my ears at least) so don't beat yourself up too much!
Secondly i'd say it's harder to write engaging music without vocals, a lyric gives you another way of telling the story and a good singer gives you all kinds of ways of adding little hooks of interest - but if this isn't prevalent in your style then you need to figure out ways to do the same.
It feels like this tune would benefit from another harmony line in a couple of place - what do you come up with if you sing along over the top and try and harmonise?
Finally, there's a lot of virtue in a short song - I've rarely written a song that I haven't gone back to later and trimmed a bit of fat from. A song should take your listener through stages of tension and release, tension and release, tension and release... don't make them wait too long for either bit.

One final caveat - I have absolutely zero success as a songwriter / composer / whatever, so feel free to ignore any or all of this; I'm sure a few smarter folks will be along in a bit to chip in some more useful advice.

Oh, and one final, final thing: in your first post you talked about the frustration of practising and just repeating your mistakes. One of the key points of learning anything is to take the time to reflect and really understand the mistake. Why is it a mistake? What really caused the mistake? What can you do to address the mistake or how could you avoid putting yourself in that position next time? Contrary to what Robert the Bruce would have us think, it's not just "try, try and try again." It's try, think, try something else, think, try something else - and it never stops.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby LiamH2013 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks mate,
Just going to keep at it.

Thanks for the wise words, Ill deffo keep practising.
LiamH2013
Poster