You are here

Books on Counterpoint

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Books on Counterpoint

Postby Slash7 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 pm

There is a great amount of books on counterpoint, and I know about Fux's
But any of you know about counterpoint books related to contemporary music? Some books that are published in recent decades rather than those written centuries ago
Slash7
Regular
slash7

Re: Books on Counterpoint

Postby zenguitar » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Moved to Music Theory and Composition. It should get more attention there.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:07 am

Hmm Slash? I wonder wot instrument ‘e plays?

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486222756.html

This is a good few decades old now, but it don’t matter bruv, harmony, counterpoint, voice leading is the same for you, me, Hendrix or Beet’oven, music's music, regardless of genre or century written.

Books like this won’t provide the answer, because if you can already write a tune then you already possess this knowledge, this is wot I discovered anyway.

Indeed, in the tome Salzer mentions that although Mozart, Beet’oven, etc weren’t aware of ‘is findings, they knew it instinctively.

A song lives within an I-V-I harmonic structure, on a geetar try, Amaj Dmaj Amaj Emaj, repeat, then for the next bit add a Gmaj into the mix while keeping an eye, er, ear, on the I-V-I structure, by leaping (or stepping) to consonants and stepping (only) through the dissonants…

It’s dead easy to understand counterpoint/voice leading, once grasped it’s the same thing over and over and over again & then some again, as you always use the same notes in a similar/ish order as this is wot nature predicts, it’s the gaps/pauses between the intervals that make a great hook, Beet’ovens 5th etc… it's also not always about choice/preference though, cos as nature itself predicts/dictates certain orders of intervals/notes it therefore makes life very easy when composing music.. almost like 'aving a subliminal naturally occuring writing partner, innit.

Postby Slash7 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:30 pm

LdashD wrote:Hmm Slash? I wonder wot instrument ‘e plays?

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486222756.html

This is a good few decades old now, but it don’t matter bruv, harmony, counterpoint, voice leading is the same for you, me, Hendrix or Beet’oven, music's music, regardless of genre or century written.

Books like this won’t provide the answer, because if you can already write a tune then you already possess this knowledge, this is wot I discovered anyway.

Indeed, in the tome Salzer mentions that although Mozart, Beet’oven, etc weren’t aware of ‘is findings, they knew it instinctively.

A song lives within an I-V-I harmonic structure, on a geetar try, Amaj Dmaj Amaj Emaj, repeat, then for the next bit add a Gmaj into the mix while keeping an eye, er, ear, on the I-V-I structure, by leaping (or stepping) to consonants and stepping (only) through the dissonants…

It’s dead easy to understand counterpoint/voice leading, once grasped it’s the same thing over and over and over again & then some again, as you always use the same notes in a similar/ish order as this is wot nature predicts, it’s the gaps/pauses between the intervals that make a great hook, Beet’ovens 5th etc… it's also not always about choice/preference though, cos as nature itself predicts/dictates certain orders of intervals/notes it therefore makes life very easy when composing music.. almost like 'aving a subliminal naturally occuring writing partner, innit.

Thanks for that and for ur explanations
Slash7
Regular
slash7

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:09 pm

You're more than welcome mate, any probs or queries you know where i am dude.

The more I, or some other bod has to "teach" you/others, the less you'll (sort of) learn, I'm pretty good at teaching folks 'ow to teach 'emselves innit.

'avin' said that, don't never ever be afraid to ask bruvver, nowt wrong wiv asking, I'm just saying, try to work out some stuff for yerself, some things maybe not, but at least try cos it's good for your art.

If'n you listen to rock or say reggae etc, then there's a more than fair chance that that's wot you're gonna produce, so the same can be said for average dull or uninspiring music.. I'm assuming you're a kid, so get to know inside-out all the great guitar players/bands from say 50's onwards, potentially, you're as good as your influence providing that influence doesn't show above the surface, but like i said man, don't be afraid to ask, as not every bod's quite as clever as moi, innit.

Postby petev3.1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 am

I would suggest an introductory book from the Associated Board reading list, whatever is on there these days. I;d also qualify LashD's comment about it all being simple. It ain't.

As soon as you get the idea of voice leading and inversions, and your ears are getting up to speed, I'd suggest sitting down with some Bach chorale tunes and trying your hand at a few, then comparing with the original. It's fun and a well-tried method of learning. Then just transfer the skills to whatever style you're working in and apply as appropriate.

Some of these famous tomes on counterpoint are enough to put you off for life. Pick one aimed at children to get yourself going would be be my advice.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 am

I'd suggest getting a suitable teacher as well as a book. Unless you listen to a lot of Bach, it will be unfamiliar territory, and the books can be impenetrable.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:16 pm

These four paperbacks will tell you everything you need to know in a well written readily accessible style.

Firstly the ABRSM guides vols 1 + 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AB-Guide-Music ... 1854724460

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AB-Guide-Music ... eory+vol+2

Follow with Sturman

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... sc=y&hl=en

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6Q- ... cQ6AEIJTAA

If you can take on board what these books offer, then you will be well placed to choose your own path.

And if there is a college near you that does music evening classes etc, then enrol. Some things can be easier to learn in a classroom.

Best wishes.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby Airfix » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:43 am

to those who are familiar wit their instrument, harmonically interdependent is somewhat basic - sounding difficult - when it is not
Airfix
Frequent Poster