You are here

what would you do in this situation

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

what would you do in this situation

Postby xpectsuccess » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:36 am

You have a progression that has these notes going on

if you were playing piano your right hand would play these notes
(the notes are in order from lowest to highest, ie, in the first note group, E is lowest ) this is crucial and must be used in this order)
note group 1: E A C
2: F# A D
3: G C E
4. A D F#

meanwhile the bass notes are all A, (A and A8, like the octaves) throughout all 4 chords

:?: :?
xpectsuccess
New here

Re: what would you do in this situation

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:21 am

I think I would repeat it.

Postby Lophophora » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:52 am

You could add another cycle of same duration with the following notes (same pattern with A on bass), but going down:

E A C
D G B
C F A
B D G
Lophophora
Poster

Postby Jathon Delsy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:29 pm

You can do anything, that's what composition is about. It all depends on what sound or effect you want to create, what came before and where it's leading etc. Make your own rules. Then break them
For me, the most important thing is to sound original yet somehow familiar.
Jathon Delsy
Regular
https://www.youtube.com/user/jathondelsy

Postby artzmusic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:38 pm

So the chords are Am D/A Am7 D/A.

Your choices as to what to do with these regarding a melody over the top or an improv could involve notes they have in common either within the arpeggio or extensions.

Or the two scales for Am and D

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby xpectsuccess » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Salty Dog wrote:I think I would repeat it.
lmao dammit, i forgot to ask my question...how would you notate this....progression, like just using chords names, in your system of informal notation

no sheet music allowed. chords names only, single lines..like i am typing right now...no superscripts just letters and numbers and symbols linear across the page...for your own purpose as liner notes...etc...
xpectsuccess
New here

Postby Lophophora » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:19 am

artzmusic wrote:So the chords are Am D/A Am7 D/A.
Lophophora
Poster

Postby damoore » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:18 am

1: E A C Am
2: F# A D. D/A
3: G C E. Am7
4. A D F#. D/A

The fact that you notate the 7 on one Am and not the other tells the reader not to play the 7 on the first one.
damoore
Frequent Poster

Postby xpectsuccess » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:40 am

damoore wrote:1: E A C Am
3: G C E. Am7
4. A D F#. D/A

The fact that you notate the 7 on one Am and not the other tells the reader not to play the 7 on the first one.
how would someone know to play the E as the lowest note of the right hand? the important notes in the chord are E and then C on top...the A is really not even needed...what is needed is the E with an (augmented 5th) on top of it....I would notate it E5+ would you know what to play if i wrote that:? same with the other chords, the inside notes are not important...the notes that are needed are the low note and then the high note.

Basically, it's playing first 2 power chords with augmented 5ths....that I could deal with...forgetting the inside note... and then to notate, I would simply put (E5+ F#5+ G6 A6)/A. The G6 and A6 are understaood to have no "inside notes"
xpectsuccess
New here

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:39 pm

xpectsuccess wrote:how would someone know to play the E as the lowest note of the right hand?

If you want to give that level of detail about the voicing of the chords to the player then you'd really be best off notating the part fully rather than using abbreviations.

xpectsuccess wrote: the important notes in the chord are E and then C on top...the A is really not even needed...what is needed is the E with an (augmented 5th) on top of it....I would notate it E5+ would you know what to play if i wrote that:?

It definitely isn't an E5+ chord! As others have said, it's a straightforward A minor chord unless you leave out the As in both hands, in which case it could be considered a C major first inversion (C/E).

xpectsuccess wrote:Basically, it's playing first 2 power chords with augmented 5ths....that I could deal with...forgetting the inside note... and then to notate, I would simply put (E5+ F#5+ G6 A6)/A. The G6 and A6 are understaood to have no "inside notes"

I think you may be over-thinking this!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby xpectsuccess » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm

in which case it could be considered a C major first inversion (C/E)

1: E A C Am/E

i agree with this, this is how was doing it....but then i want now A bass note. so i've been told that people will see Am/E and play E bass note.....

so how do you notate specific inversions that are over top of specific bass notes

like if you have Am/E and you want an E bass note also...then thats fine. but what if i want A bass note....or F# bass note....

my idea is just to use two slashes...but people are saying thats not right

ie. Am/E/A except the rule would be that the bass note for any chord is always understaood to be the root of the chord, regardless of inversion.....so in fact it would be Am/E ...this means A bass note....and only on anything that is any other note than Root note would you specify

so it would be (Am/E D/F# C/G D/A)/A
xpectsuccess
New here

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:10 pm

xpectsuccess wrote:so how do you notate specific inversions that are over top of specific bass notes

like if you have Am/E and you want an E bass note also...then thats fine. but what if i want A bass note....or F# bass note....

I'm not sure this really makes sense. The lowest note played just is, by definition, what determines the inversion. If you play a low A in the left hand, it's not an inverted chord; if you play a low E in the left hand instead, it becomes a second inversion.

What you're talking about is how the rest of the chord is voiced. I'm not aware of a simple shorthand for that.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby xpectsuccess » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:21 pm

what i mean, is, an all purpose bass note, like the note that the actual bassplayer is supposed to play, or you would play as an octave in the left hand....i dont mean playing a chord in the left hand.......iliterally mean, your left hand becomes the bassplayer, this is separate...the left hand and right are not connected.......there is no connection on paper....there is just a connection audio acousticly and harmonically

this is why your right hand is understaood to be discrete entity....and this is why i make specific inversions for right hand only

because its better for singing over....to engage the exact proper melodically derived chord, this is where playing an inversion becomes crucial in the righ thand to accompany voice...to provide that harmonic resonance and connection to fuse to

and the bassnote is very often not just simply the "low" note of the righ thand inversion, it's its own entity, functionally and harmonically
xpectsuccess
New here

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:21 pm

I would download iRealB and have a play with it. Are you Android or Fruit based?
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby artzmusic » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Ok so if you see the notation Am, the A bass note is implied. A is what the bass player would go to first (theoretically). A is what your left hand would play.

But as far as inversions with the right hand, Am only hints at that. All the information is not going to be found in the notation - that's what the black dots are for! However, there can be some help in the notation.

For example Amadd9 usually implies a 2 added within the inversion. i.e. A E B C
Am9 implies the use of a b7 and a 9th (usually on top) i.e. A G C E B and so forth. So the notation gives you some direction at a glance. For the specifics you'd have to study the staff.

Some teaching methods for guitar would place either above or below the staff a Roman numeral to indicate fret position, giving some insight on the inversion.

For the piano, and I know this is different for the States and EU, you could write a memo above the staff for the beginning of the inversion for the right hand using the midi designation E4, for example. Downloading a table of frequencies and their midi equivalents would help.

Hope that helps. It's always good to keep it simple.
artzmusic
Regular

Postby petev3.1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 am

The only way to specify the notes for the inner parts is to use notation. Simple chord names can specify the bass note and the harmony but not the arrangement of the inner parts. There's nothing that can be done about this. In order to communicate one has no choice but to learn the language.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:24 pm

"...(the notes are in order from lowest to highest, ie, in the first note group, E is lowest ) this is crucial and must be used in this order)..."

Therefore we're beyond the scope of chord symbol notation. Period.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.