You are here

Copyright and Composer Sample libraries

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Copyright and Composer Sample libraries

Postby Vyv » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:12 am

Hi everyone,

(Apologies if this has been asked before but I don't seem to be getting much luck with the SOS search function.)

The new wave of composer libraries, eg Spitfire's Olafur Arnalds String Evolutions, sound great, but won't this lead to production music libraries becoming full of very similar sounding Olafur Arnalds rip-offs using the same sounds? What is the copyright position here?

If I buy it (as I might) and play some simple chord sequences or even just hold a couple of notes it's going to sound sumptuous, but is it really my music?

Sample libraries often forbid the use of single samples being released as a 'piece', but while that's clear enough with a snare drum or a loop, when the samples are as complex as this, I would have thought it becomes impossible to enforce.

Any thoughts?
Vyv
Regular
Vyv Cubase 9.5 Win10 Pro 64bit ASUS Z97 Intel Core i7 16Gb Audient id22 Focal SM9

Re: Copyright and Composer Sample libraries

Postby wdsteele » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Guess it depends on how lucrative it might be to pursue any infringement but I'd bet that Spitfire would have a fairly liberal approach - wouldn't be good for business to bring lawsuits against customers and they seem a fairly regular bunch of chaps with a genuine love of music and it's creation.

But I get what you're saying about the" similar sounding" . I was in a position a few months ago to spend around £1K on music technology and seriously considered bolstering my sound library with some Spitfire libraries and a few other desirable software bits and pieces.

Spent it on guitar pedals instead....

And what a right decision that was , loving them all !
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Vyv » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:44 pm

Indeed, I'm not fearful of getting sued by Spitfire, but concerned that with thousands of near-identical tracks by the tens (hundreds? thousands?) of library writers using this and similar libraries, the likelihood of getting any of it placed looks increasingly slim.

Having said that, I'm intrigued by the sounds so might just get the thing anyway ...
Vyv
Regular
Vyv Cubase 9.5 Win10 Pro 64bit ASUS Z97 Intel Core i7 16Gb Audient id22 Focal SM9

Postby wdsteele » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:47 pm

if I had another £1K to spend this year I probably would too - they sound bloody marvellous !
wdsteele
Regular

Postby One Horse Town » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:04 pm

'The new wave of composer libraries, eg Spitfire's Olafur Arnalds String Evolutions, sound great, but won't this lead to production music libraries becoming full of very similar sounding Olafur Arnalds rip-offs using the same sounds?

If I buy it (as I might) and play some simple chord sequences or even just hold a couple of notes it's going to sound sumptuous, but is it really my music?'

Doesn't seem to have worried all the owners of Roland's TR909 or even Roland for that matter.

Much as I can see what you're saying I think it still comes down to the most important aspect....the composition. Which is probably why the button twiddlers and the 'flashy lighty' afficiandos will continue to keep these companies in business and a small minority will use the gear to 'serve' rather than 'dominate.'
One Horse Town
Regular

Postby Vyv » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Doesn't seem to have worried all the owners of Roland's TR909 or even Roland for that matter.

Hmmm, nor owners of pianos and violins. But the point is these new sounds are so heavily produced that they sound like a ready-mixed product out of the box, you can't play a tune with them like you could a piano, because the tunes are already part of the sample.

But you do have a point. Damn it I'm going to have to buy it now.
Vyv
Regular