You are here

Dalmatian Nights - Orchestral piece - What do u think?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Dalmatian Nights - Orchestral piece - What do u think?

Postby TSWO » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:12 pm

This is my first attempt on writting something instrumental for a classical style orchestra. It took a lot of time to program everything in the studio to make it sound as if played by a real orchestra.

Did we get near that or does it sound too midi-ish?

Other than that what do u think about the music?

https://soundcloud.com/tswo/dalmatian-nights

https://youtu.be/8xBGlZt2-R4

Enjoy!
TSWO
New here

Re: Dalmatian Nights - Orchestral piece - What do u think?

Postby petev3.1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:11 pm

I liked the piece and it all seemed to work well. I found the overall sound quite hard on the ears. A bit bright maybe?
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Sounded very midi-ish. I can kinda imagine it working better with a small live ensemble. A few guitars, upright bass and accordion kinda thing. I think you need real instruments in order to make it work. Got a bit of a restaurant vibe to it.

IMO of course. It's all subjective innit.

Postby TSWO » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Thank you guys for the comments!

@Petev3.1 yes I think I agree with you, I will amp the bass frequencies a little and maybe cut some of the treble if I releash this commercially ;)

@SaltyDog Well, the point of this ochestration is/was to do a "restaurant" piece in a more subbtle/sophisticated way... Like a classical orchestra goes jazz-club style, and not the opposite (a small jazz ensemble going crazy with counterpoint). But thank you.

And I sure wish I could afford the 12 musicians that are required (at least) to record it live :p (it has 5 strings, 3 woods, 3 brasses +piano)

:)
TSWO
New here

Postby job » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:27 pm

That's a cool piece. I like it. To me though it sounds like there isn't enough variation in the expression (fully on throughout almost), or it's been compressed. Maybe both. Maybe something else? Makes it sound off in reference to orchestral music to me though :thumbup:
job
Regular

Postby TSWO » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 am

Thx @Job

Yeah, it's true that there isn't enough expression in the playing but I guess that's because of the computer-sound library generated sound... But when you can't afford live musicians you have to make comprimises and strive for the best with what means you have :)
TSWO
New here