You are here

Our latest song - feedback would be massively appreciated :)

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Our latest song - feedback would be massively appreciated :)

Postby danproducerman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi everyone

This is mine and my co-writers latest song that we're looking to pitch to various parts of the industry. Whilst we totally believe in the song, I'm not sure at present which market to target. I'm thinking modern country/pop/rock (think Lady Antebellum and The Shires and that particular style etc).
Would love your thoughts on if you agree on that style and commerciality of the song?
Thanks everyone in advance and for taking the time to read this post and listen to the song!
https://soundcloud.com/danscholesproduc ... -on-vocals
danproducerman
Poster
facebook.com/danscholesproducer
soundcloud.com/danscholesproducer

Re: Our latest song - feedback would be massively appreciated :)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi Dan, can't really help with where to pitch it (not really my kettle of fish) but it does sound very marketable in that country-rock vein.
Might just be my 'phones but it feels like the vocal is sitting a little too low in the mix - it's particularly noticeable when it comes in at the beginning. Similarly the guitar solo feels like it needs a bit of kick up the *ahem*. So maybe it's not them needing to be louder just the overall supporting tracks a bit quieter and more dynamic maybe?
I'm sure they'll be better advice coming from the people who actually know what they're talking about ;¬)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:41 pm

Yep, I do a lot of this type of stuff.

This isn't at all bad.

This first thing I notice is that there's a cluster of audio in stereo centre. I sense a fear of panning - be brave! Get those pan controls out wide and you'll lose some of the congestion.

I'm hearing quite a lot of crunch in the mix. A crisp, bright vocal is very much a feature of this style of music. I sense a bit of an EQ bidding war between the guitars, drums, loops and the vocal. Push the guitars out to the sides and maybe you can ease back on the EQ? Widen the drums, especially the overheads if you can. Create some space and width in the mix. Give the vocal its space in the centre.

I wonder if you're compressing/limiting a bit too much on the mix bus? Again, a very heavily limited mix is a feature of much of this musical style, but you have to take care of the dynamics in the details of the mix, rather than hit the whole mix extra hard at the end.

Hope something here helps.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:53 am

I feel the song lacks an emotional climax point. The intensity and sound of each chorus feels the same so that makes the song flatter than a Nashville country song.

The vocals are not as out front as in a Nashville country song. Vocals compete with the guitars in the arrangement. I found myself trying to listen to hear what he was saying sometimes.

The lyrics don't tell the kind of story that we expect. I am not really sure what the lyrics are about. It is kind of vague. I think there is a guy on the road who wants to come back to his woman. But the lyrics don't paint a picture so I was not drawn in emotionally.

I am thinking of the Randy Travis song when he paints a picture for us: 'Six pack on the front seat. A box, of chicken wings'. Or, 'He wore starched white shirts, buttoned at the neck. He used to sit in the shade and watch the chickens peck. His teeth were gone, but what the heck. I thought, that he walked, on water'.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby danproducerman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and insight! Much appreciated. Will take some of these comments on board. :-)
danproducerman
Poster
facebook.com/danscholesproducer
soundcloud.com/danscholesproducer