You are here

Feedback for total newbie, amateur composer!

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Feedback for total newbie, amateur composer!

Postby Neptunes » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:15 am

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting!

I'm actually a drummer that never learned official music theory! I got an ipad in 2013, which had Garageband, which turned out to be a uniquely useful learning and composition tool. The interface is great for beginners who don't necessarily know what they are doing since you can literally use your hands to play, you can access scales, edit the chords, etc. And of course you can open the midi part and zoom in and edit the notes, and in a parallel fashion literally see fundamental music theory in front of you by observing the intervals, note lengths, etc.

I mainly used Garageband as a means to show my band ideas at the time (I was in a metal band for 3 years, and this was a great way for me to participate in the songwriting process since my voice sucks.) I expanded upon the reject pile of these ideas over time, basically turning it into my own project - kind of an experiment, a real attempt to write decent electronic music of some kind. I had no idea where I was going with it.

Long story short, I have two songs that I have spent the last three years on basically. I mean, the ideas were ones that I recorded a long time ago and I've done a LOT since. The real game changer was when I got Logic and used Logic's plugins and composition/editing capabilities. I took advantage of some aspects of Logic, although I am still very unfamiliar with somethings. I manipulated the plugins so that they would hopefully sound more "serious", I would use a custom arpeggiator and then edit individual notes, etc.

I would LOVE some feedback....is there a way to get more serious sounding plugins to use with Logic? How is the song structure? Any feedback on the basic production?

I am such a beginner that I have no ego, rip me apart! I am happy with it since it was an experiment and I had no experience in music prior to this (I started playing drums late, at age 21, I'm 29 now, I started composing on the ipad/comp in 2013.)

Here are the links, I'd start with Invidia and then go to Echo! I am not happy with Odna, but by all means, if you want listen to it!

https://soundcloud.com/user-817543916
Neptunes

Re: Feedback for total newbie, amateur composer!

Postby DunbegStudios » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi,

I just had a listen to invidia. I have to say I really like the mix generally, with everything nice and clear. I'd say that the drum and keyboard work is quite good, although maybe the drums are a bit electronic/80s at some parts (eg, about 2 mins in).

I dont know if the plan is to add vocals or not at some point, but it would need something like that for me to take it to the next stage.

But I have to say I think you have some talent on the melody writing side of things there - really good.

Thanks

John
DunbegStudios
New here

Postby Neptunes » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:54 am

Thank you for taking the time to listen, and I'm so glad you regard the melodic stuff positively....that's so awesome!

I hear you about the drums and the vocals! I gotta fix the drum sound and think of a vocal line!
Neptunes

Postby TSWO » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:23 am

I listened to Edna and Invidia (funky names what do they mean?). It's obvious you are talented, and even more obvious that you are a drummer :p Odna sounds great, but to my ears Invidia is more like the drum section of a track waiting for a great melody that you haven't still written for it. The sound is a little 80's but that's not a bad thing by itself if you are trying to go to that direction.

Keep it up! Merry Xmas!
TSWO
New here

Postby Neptunes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:33 pm

Thank you for the kind and encouraging feedback! Its really exciting. You are the first people on Earth to hear these songs besides me!

Odna is totally not done! But Echo is more or less finished, minus a vocal line. Echo was really my experiment in making something with a basic pop song structure.

So this past year I researched a lot on Narcissistic Personality Disorder (it's a real thing! They are like psychic vampires among regular people) and was inspired by the myth, which I think is really a badass story, almost allegory, for a particular kind of toxic relationship.

Echo was in love with Narcissus, who was in love with himself. She followed him around (hence the Echo). Invidia (the roman equivalent of NEMESIS - the god of getting what you deserve, or revenge), saw Narcissus and wanted to teach him a lesson. Invidia is actually the character that LED narcissus to the pool, where he fell in love with his reflection and drowned.

All of these names are total afterthoughts for the songs, but, what the heck!

Thanks for the feedback y'all,
Oh and also, Odna will actually be called Narcissus, I just decided!

Odna is the Russian word for alone. I was totally alone in the house when I named it, not in the deep "I'm so lonely" kind of way, but literally I was just there by myself.
Neptunes