You are here

Can anyone recognise this guilt-inducing fugue subject?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Can anyone recognise this guilt-inducing fugue subject?

Postby Pusczak » Sat May 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Felines last post prompted me to ask the same question.The offending item is on <https://soundcloud.com/fugafella/fugue-for-theresa>. I have a feeling it could be some French chanson-style piece but no-one I've played it to can recognise it. Feeding it into musipedia doesn't seem to produce a convincing match, but then my music-reading is terrible.

It raises the question of whether permission must be sought before publishing a fugue on somebody else's work. Mind you, the market is so small that I guess one is unlikely to be taken to court!
Pusczak
New here

Re: Can anyone recognise this guilt-inducing fugue subject?

Postby petev3.1 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:46 pm

The mind boggles. Imagine if the kids started posting five-part fugues on stolen subjects all over the place.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby panurge » Tue May 16, 2017 8:41 pm

I did not recognize any possible source, sorry!

Anyway, the piece seems very cleverly written to me, so i'd be happy to express my congratulations to the author (from your message i really did not get if you are the author... anyway...)!

As for the 'ethical' question: "can i use this theme, which i think i'm recalling from somewhere?"
Go for it, i guess.
If i remember correctly, Paul McCartney was sure that 'Yesterday' came from some tune he heard. Well, i am grateful he decided to go ahead and give it to humanity nonetheless.
If it's a tune someone has rights on, you'll find out sooner or later :o

On the other hand, in another planet:

Once i wrote a bossa nova tune, and I was soooo proud of it, especially for a certain passage with a great melodic motion. After two months i discovered it was the verse snippet of "an englishman in new york" by Sting, only used in a different place of the motif and with slightly different chords, so i did not realize it was the same idea, even if i knew the Sting song pretty well..

Musical similarity is a great big problem i guess!

Cheers
panurge
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 17, 2017 3:00 pm

panurge wrote:Once i wrote a bossa nova tune, and I was soooo proud of it, especially for a certain passage with a great melodic motion. After two months i discovered it was the verse snippet of "an englishman in new york" by Sting, only used in a different place of the motif and with slightly different chords, so i did not realize it was the same idea, even if i knew the Sting song pretty well..

Musical similarity is a great big problem i guess!

Yes indeedy - it has fueled the careers of a great many lawyers and other dodgy related folk :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Pusczak » Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 pm

[quote (from your message i really did not get if you are the author... anyway...)! ][/quote]

Thanks for your compliment, Panurge!
Pusczak
New here