You are here

Reflection about Music uniqueness

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Reflection about Music uniqueness

Postby job » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:32 pm

double post
job
Regular

Postby Nowhk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi, and thanks again for all the replies guys, kind of people :oops:

Sam Spoons wrote:We still hear the song as the song, even if it sounds different
The audience hear the song and fill in the gaps themselves so what they 'hear' sounds 'just like the record' even though what I play doesn't.

Sam Spoons wrote:OTOH it's well known that hifi systems are usually designed to flatter the recordings (make them sound as nice to listen to as possible by colouring the sound in a pleasing way).

Isn't this contradictory? If I hear "the same song" despite it sounds differents, why I should prefer setup A instead of setup B? Which happens in my life. I prefer listen to music on my boosted bass headphones instead of flat ones, or better the living room HiFi instead of my monitor flat speaker.

So either it "adds" somethings which I'll enjoy (differently, due to the addiction; so the latter), or it "adds" somethings that I'll just compensate (so, the former, same song). Can't be both :ugeek:

Sam Spoons wrote:A good analogy to the latter is the electric guitar and it's amp, a good amp will colour the guitar sound (which is bland and uninteresting on it's own) in a way that pleases, it distorts in a way that sounds in harmony with the music with even order harmonics rather than odd order which clash and jar with the fundamental note.

Yeah, good analogy. But if you compare that "distortion" with the one added by the presentation layer introduced by your medium, this end up saying that listener's choosed gears (medium/environments) edit/shape your piece of music.

Sam Spoons wrote:Maybe an additional 'mastering' process
What I've just said. Isn't this odd? :headbang:

blinddrew wrote:In terms of the listener turning things into the sounds it expects, just have a think about most live performances with acoustic guitars. A lot of the time the 'acoustic guitar' really sounds nothing like an acoustic guitar - it sounds like a piezo through a PA - but we've become used to this sound, and we see someone on stage with an acoustic guitar, so our brains then interpret this as an acoustic guitar.
job wrote:Rather, sound is an interpretation of a physical wave.
As Sam Spoons hypothesized at the beginning or his previous reply: brain adapt/compensate distortions introduced by medium, roughly.

Again, I can accept this, but still I don't get WHY I should use different mediums if I'll interpret it same way, and WHY I really enjoy more listening to the "same piece" only on some gears instead of others :roll:

Really I can't get this answer... based on the "interpret the same" consideration :SOS:
Nowhk
New here

Postby Nowhk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am

Or, simply, "sound" its just a container that can "vary"? And what matter is the "message" you throw to the listener through this container?

I'm not really sure about this when talking about music.
For literature, this makes sense: if you write "Hello world" with font size 10 or font size 11 (distortion), the message is the same (even if the text has been changed, a bit).
Change in the text, same message (until the distortion its so heavy).

Would be the same for music? But what could be a "message" from a drum kit if not how it "sounds"? That's the step that maybe I'm missing...
Nowhk
New here

Previous