You are here

Question regarding 15/30/60s library music edits

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Question regarding 15/30/60s library music edits

Postby andthatwhatsup » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello!

I've tried reading threads about this specific topic, however, I couldn't find a clear answer.

I believe that stingers, beds and 15/30/60s edits are still relevant in library music today, especially for TV and radio ads (correct me if I'm wrong).

How should I go about calculating a correct BPM that would fit these timeframes? Let's say I take this formula: BPM = BARS x 240 / time (15, 30 or 60s).

(240 is 60s/min multiplied with, let's say 4 bars per beat)

Now the first thing that concerns me is whether I should put the time into a formula as 14, 29 or 59 in order to have that ~1s for a proper fade out, or even 13, 28 or 58 to squeeze that additional second in the beginning of the song, by thinking that we're starting at 0.

Secondly, should I firstly think about how many bars exactly do I want to complete the calculation, or should I begin with an approximate preferred BPM and then try to round up to a correct amount of bars? It surely depends on the structure of a specific song, however, it would be interesting to hear your take on this.

It would be great to hear your methods and practice of composing/cutting the tracks in this manner. Also, share your opinions if these specific timeframes are still highly important. For example, if the composition is easily editable and can be cut at any bar (nearly any bar - I understand that some cutting points might damage the value of compositional structure of the song). I hope you understand me.

Thank you!
andthatwhatsup

Re: Question regarding 15/30/60s library music edits

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 am

The answer to your first question is yes -- you will almost certainly have to deliver 60 and 30 second edits, and quite possibly short stings as well.

But you're overthinking the problem of creating them. You certainly don't want to be tied to a handful of specific tempi just because they easily divide into a whole number of bars at those durations. Make the music as good as it can be without reference to duration, and then find a way to edit it after the fact. Yes you'll end up mutilating some of your tracks so that they no longer make musical sense, but if you object to doing that, you're probably not cut out for making library music!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am

The best advice I can give is to go and listen to library tracks on a site like Audio Network, where they have all the different edits available to listen to. All different tempos, but the shorter edits often fill up the extra second or so with reverb tails or delays that are faded out.

The overall piece needs to be 30 (or 10 or 60 etc. ) seconds long but the music can be slightly shorter, then 'stretched'.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am

When I was involved in using library music (back in the day when we edited with a razor blade) the libraries had 28" and 30" versions for TV and radio respectively, apparently TV ads had to have 2 seconds of silence at the end. Not sure if that is still the case?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........