You are here

What Is a Lie in Music?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: What Is a Lie in Music?

Postby Terrible.dee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 am

Butterfried Bacon wrote:A friend of mine is a professional classical music composer who hates new age music. Quite some time ago, I asked him what was wrong with new age music, pointing out that at least some of it is more interesting than something like pop or rap. For example, there are a lot of new age selections which develop and change over the course of the piece, so you're not just hearing verse, chorus, verse, chorus all the way through. I've listened to new age music for thirty years and I have a huge selection of wonderful music. I find it hard to believe that someone who hates new age music would have had the inclination to explore it to see if there's anything—anything at all—that might be likable. He said something about new age music sounding like a lie. That mystified me. I had no idea what he was talking about. Then, about a week ago, I watched an Al Jazeera interview featuring Vangelis and he also made a reference to the possibility of someone creating music that's a lie.

What in the world are they talking about?

Well, I would have considered "New Age" music to be the background soundscape for a guided meditation track or some commercial advertising a "new agey" product, never considered the idea someone would actually listen to that stuff to listen to it.

I think what your friend means is this: When I was asked for "New Age" cues for a T.V show I was working on, all I did was dial up the "Soundtrack" patch on my JX8P, routed the aftertouch to the filter, put a little more rez on it, then just played out my a** for 1:30.
There was nothing to it, I didn't need to come up with any ideas, in fact, all I had to do was make it sound like I wasn't doing anything.

Start listening to KISS again, I think when you moved on from them is when things might have started to go a little wrong.
Terrible.dee
Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:00 am

Classifications are for those looking for excuses. If you like something that's enough. If you don't, then don't listen to it. Why bother inventing 'reasons'?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 pm

I find most music to be an annoying noise that just reminds me of work.

If I want to relax, I read PG Wodehouse - in silence!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:58 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:I find most music to be an annoying noise that just reminds me of work.
If you're trying to get people to pay you to listen to their music, well, nice try, but I don't think it's going to wash... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Bunk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:53 pm

The subject reminds me of a quote made by someone (Paul Weller rings a bell) where he was listening to a vocalist singing and said/thought "I don't believe you..."; something that I always remember when (trying) to sing, basically meaning if you don't have the conviction behind your performance, then...well, you can take any number of meanings from that. Best example I can immediately think of is an X-Factor contestant rattling out a cover of something "....for my Grandmother who died this year..." (and crying/ tears of course always help) whilst really thinking "I could get £100K from this..."
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:15 pm

The Bunk wrote:...an X-Factor contestant rattling out a cover of something "....for my Grandmother who died this year..." (and crying/ tears of course always help) whilst really thinking "I could get £100K from this..."

Cynical but sound reasoning there The Bunk :smirk:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Bunk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Umm...yep, on reflection maybe a bit cynical and no offence to the bereaved was intended of course. I won't turn this into an X-Factor rant either but I was in hospital a few years ago and just got yakking with one of the nurses, asking her why she got into nursing. The answer was "well my grandmother died from cancer a few years ago, and I wanted to give something back to the NHS after all they did for her..so here I am". Which to my mind is better than "..so I wanted to get on X-Factor and hopefully get a record contract as a result..."
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

I don't know, they seem completely comparable to me... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Butterfried Bacon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm

The Bunk wrote:Umm...yep, on reflection maybe a bit cynical and no offence to the bereaved was intended of course. I won't turn this into an X-Factor rant either but I was in hospital a few years ago and just got yakking with one of the nurses, asking her why she got into nursing. The answer was "well my grandmother died from cancer a few years ago, and I wanted to give something back to the NHS after all they did for her..so here I am". Which to my mind is better than "..so I wanted to get on X-Factor and hopefully get a record contract as a result..."

Oh, yes. Those people who have lost family members and/or friends have my condolences, but when they turn it into a talking point in a singing competition, it always makes me cringe. Suddenly I start getting the urge to run into the kitchen and look for a snack until they stop talking and the emotionally manipulative music stops playing. It's like they're hoping for extra votes just because they're singing for their deceased Daddy or Grandma. I typically don't like music in which the singer whines about lost love or separation from a boyfriend or girlfriend—with the exception of Oleta Adams' "Get Here (If You Can)"; that one is really nice. And I suppose songs about love that never went away is okay, too, like The Captain and Tennille's "Gentle Stranger". I REALLY like that one, for some reason, even though I'm not in love with anyone. Heh. :)
Butterfried Bacon
Poster
Newcomer to Music (Est. 2017-03-19)
https://soundcloud.com/user-714912739
Mythozchtryx