You are here

What Is a Lie in Music?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: What Is a Lie in Music?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

I don't know, they seem completely comparable to me... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: What Is a Lie in Music?

Postby Butterfried Bacon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm

The Bunk wrote:Umm...yep, on reflection maybe a bit cynical and no offence to the bereaved was intended of course. I won't turn this into an X-Factor rant either but I was in hospital a few years ago and just got yakking with one of the nurses, asking her why she got into nursing. The answer was "well my grandmother died from cancer a few years ago, and I wanted to give something back to the NHS after all they did for her..so here I am". Which to my mind is better than "..so I wanted to get on X-Factor and hopefully get a record contract as a result..."

Oh, yes. Those people who have lost family members and/or friends have my condolences, but when they turn it into a talking point in a singing competition, it always makes me cringe. Suddenly I start getting the urge to run into the kitchen and look for a snack until they stop talking and the emotionally manipulative music stops playing. It's like they're hoping for extra votes just because they're singing for their deceased Daddy or Grandma. I typically don't like music in which the singer whines about lost love or separation from a boyfriend or girlfriend—with the exception of Oleta Adams' "Get Here (If You Can)"; that one is really nice. And I suppose songs about love that never went away is okay, too, like The Captain and Tennille's "Gentle Stranger". I REALLY like that one, for some reason, even though I'm not in love with anyone. Heh. :)
Butterfried Bacon
Poster
Newcomer to Music (Est. 2017-03-19)
https://soundcloud.com/user-714912739
Mythozchtryx

Previous