You are here

What does "musical" mean?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: What does "musical" mean?

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:34 pm

It all makes sense now.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby MonsterPianoPlayer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:36 am

My own words:
Anything related to music that sounds good or great!

Monster Piano Player
MonsterPianoPlayer
New here

Postby CS70 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:04 pm

If you ever use some kit which is not musical, or try to play with someone who isn't - you'll know. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:04 am

This reminds me very much of discussions of other human traits like "what is a sense of humour?". Is it the ability to tell jokes? Or to understand jokes? Or being very witty? Or being able to recognise and laugh at the gags in Monty Python? Do you have to laugh a lot to have a good sense of humour? Do puns count? And so on (and on).

Definitions slip through the fingers because they're too close to us and part of our own self images, I reckon.

CC

PS if you think "what does musical mean?" is tricky try "what is folk music?". That one will keep thousands of folkies going in acrimonious debate for decade after decade!
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:PS if you think "what does musical mean?" is tricky try "what is folk music?". That one will keep thousands of folkies going in acrimonious debate for decade after decade!
The best bit of these debates is when someone declares, "Look! It's not complicated, it's [insert random definition here]" expecting that to resolve the issue. Four hours later they're still unable to define exactly what they mean by that definition.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:45 pm

blinddrew wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:PS if you think "what does musical mean?" is tricky try "what is folk music?". That one will keep thousands of folkies going in acrimonious debate for decade after decade!
The best bit of these debates is when someone declares, "Look! It's not complicated, it's [insert random definition here]" expecting that to resolve the issue. Four hours later they're still unable to define exactly what they mean by that definition.

What did you mean by that? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Previous