You are here

Self Publishing Advice for Amateur Composer?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Self Publishing Advice for Amateur Composer?

Postby mysteriousmonkey29 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Hey everyone, I am an amateur piano composer. A few years ago I composed a series of solo piano pieces, one in each key. I wrote out all the sheet music, pretty meticulously, and made less meticulous recordings. I previously emailed a bunch of solo music publishers with a sample of my music, and one of them agreed to publish it, but they eventually stopped responding to me (I got the impression that they were pretty busy).

Anyways, I have some free time right now, so I'm looking into trying to publish my music again. My current plan is to put the recordings on youtube and soundcloud, then link a place to purchase my sheet music. I just discovered a few sites that will publish your sheet music and give you some of the sales. I'm just wondering 1) if anyone has used any of these sites, and if so, which one(s) they reccomend, 2) if I've missed any good websites in this category, 3) if anyone has any advice regarding my general plan?

Here are the best websites I've found so far:

https://smppress.sheetmusicplus.com/

https://www.musicaneo.com/services/publ ... music.html

http://www.arcomis.com/publishing/

https://www.scoreexchange.com/

For context, I have a day job, and am not at all worried about supporting myself from music sales. However, I thought it would be cool to get my music out there, and see if I could make any money in the process. I know a little about website development, but am shying away from this option due to the time commitment.

Thanks in advance!
mysteriousmonkey29

Re: Self Publishing Advice for Amateur Composer?

Postby Argiletonne » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:35 pm

The struggle of every musician ever.
All musicians want their music to have the opportunity to be published.
I see you've taken the step to self publish and risk losing part of the earnings for the sake of the 3rd party company taking a percentage for processing the works of music.
Ya, that is a risk people are willing to take now that the internet is available.
I'm sure you really want to have the opportunity to "sell" your music writing for performance and recording by other people, we all do.
What's the likelihood that there will be a large number of people desiring your works for performance in the first place?
I'm only giving you a realisitc perspective, so.
If I were you I would try to visit music stores personally and speak with them face to face and you might be able to self print the compositions and sell them locally first.
If I were you I would be careful.
Argiletonne
Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Argiletonne wrote:If I were you I would try to visit music stores personally and speak with them face to face and you might be able to self print the compositions and sell them locally first.

Have you done this yourself? I think if you had you wouldn't be suggesting it.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Bongo5 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 am

There is always Bandcamp. Although primarily for music sales, you can sell physical stuff. They also offer a 'pay what you like' option which might help test your market.

Good luck
Bongo5

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Bongo5 wrote:There is always Bandcamp. Although primarily for music sales, you can sell physical stuff. They also offer a 'pay what you like' option which might help test your market.

Hi Bongo5, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I totally agree about Bandcamp, and wrote about its perceived benefits recently in SOS:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/why-love-bandcamp

Yes, it's primarily for selling music, but other merchandise is certainly possible, so you could let people listen to your performances, and then buy the scores if you wish.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Peevy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 am

Hi mysteriousmonkey29

I find musicaneo.com to be user friendly. I don’t have original music compositions on there, just some piano vocal arrangements of traditional folk songs. They sell reasonably well though and like you, it’s a sideline more than anything, so I don’t make much of an effort to promote sales. I just enjoy getting the emails in to say that I’ve sold some! I think musicaneo takes 30%? (that’s off the top of my head, so check that)

Musicaneo also allows you to put up recordings of your compositions along with the sheet music.
Peevy
Poster