You are here

NotePerformer for Sibelius and Dorico?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

NotePerformer for Sibelius and Dorico?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi all,

My wife uses Sibelius 7.5, plus we've also recently acquired Dorico 2, though that's not in use yet - she's saving it for later when she can devote some time to learning to use it. Our attention was drawn to NotePerformer 3 by a note on the Dorico website that says it can now use the product. I understand it acts as a replacement sound library for both Sibelius and Dorico but with "artificial intelligence" (whatever they mean by that) to improve the quality and realism of playback from the packages.

Does anyone here use NotePerformer? Is it any better than the inbuilt libraries? Are there any downsides? I'd be grateful for any comments from users.

TIA,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: NotePerformer for Sibelius and Dorico?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:44 pm

50 odd views and nearly two days but no replies. That seems significant data in itself - not many people using NotePerformer, evidently.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:06 pm

Mind you, if it's a small user base it may just take a week before a user checks back online.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Quite so.

We're evaluating their 30 day demo version and so far we're quite impressed. I'll write more when we've made up our minds but, with caveats, it does seem to give a more realistic and lifelike performance than Sibelius alone.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:31 pm

NotePerformer gets some remarkably effective sounds out of a compact sample base. (Rather like Kurzweil synthesisers.) And it's relatively inexpensive.

But:

A central feature in NP is an attempt to add 'expression' to a performance. And this can't be turned off or modified. What might sound expressive in a 'classical' style unfortunately can just sound like random wrongness in rhythm-based music. And it's not just rhythm. NP's idea of realism includes a degree of random intonation, and that's a kind of realism I can do without, particularly in exposed brass lines. This has been reduced in later releases, but it's still there.

As it only works in partnership with Sibelius and Dorico, NP will not be your only option. It's a useful alternative to the supplied sound sets. When your music 'sings', NP can be your friend. But when it 'grooves' you may be disappointed.

It's only fair to mention that the general reaction in the Sibelius forums has been positive.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Mmmm, nice to ‘ear you again Oh Exalted young one, after such a longish hiatus, was gonna enquire about thee, but felt no bod 'ere gives a monkey’s anyway, ‘cept me of course.

Keep at it lad.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:11 pm

LdashD wrote:Mmmm, nice to ‘ear you again Oh Exalted young one, after such a longish hiatus,

The big website revamp drove me away. Couldn't find my way around the forum at all. Has it been changed again?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:53 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:
LdashD wrote:Mmmm, nice to ‘ear you again Oh Exalted young one, after such a longish hiatus,

The big website revamp drove me away. Couldn't find my way around the forum at all. Has it been changed again?

I felt that when I was foolish enough to sign-up in the foist place. I didn’t like the revamp too, soon got used to it though cos I can’t even remember the previous…

I think it’s always been pretty easy to navigate though, perhaps not at first, like most similar things it takes a wee bit of patience/practice.

The mag keeps changing too, the layout etc, haven’t noticed any major font changes, The Sunday Times changed their main fonts a while ago, I hated it then got used to it, bit like married life eh.

A change may indeed be as good as a rest but where does that leave the status quo?

Be good lad.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks for the comments, EW. For the record we went and bought NP and my wife is delighted with it. She writes in what she describes as "the space between classical and folk", so from the way you describe it she's likely square in the product's target audience.

The issue she's found with NP is that unaltered scores tend to sound very staccato with it so she has to put in a lot of phrasing to get it to sound as she wants it. However once she's done this the effect is good and way better than she can get with Sibelius Sounds. It's not going to replace Vienna/EastWest/whatever in creating finished music but you can produce good mockups to show others what the piece will sound like vastly more easily and cheaply.

If I was Avid or Steinberg I'd buy the company! (I hope they don't, though).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster