You are here

Using Commercial Samples to create tracks

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Using Commercial Samples to create tracks

Postby jonel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi all,
I feel a bit embarrassed by actually posing this question. I have been using Ableton for quite a long time now but I mainly work in midi, either programming in Ableton or through a midi controller. I am also happy with construction of instruments using one shots and also the occasional use of loops that I have gathered over the years. I would dearly love to be able to use these loops to create a complete song but don't feel that I understand how to proceed effectively other than just dabbling.

I gather that a sample pack is a collection of loops and one shots aimed at a particular genre of music and I should be able use a single pack for the generation of a complete song for the purpose on which the pack was constructed. I have tried looking at the various tutorial videos available and while these can be quite
helpful when they specify that a song is being built from scratch, just as it gets interesting the tutor will announce that the critical track was 'completed earlier'.

I have just been looking at a copy of Computer Music magazine (CM 224) which provided me with a sample pack called Arabian Nights from Groove Criminals and Cyclick. This pack is documented as containing 4 hand drum kits, 5 tambourine kits, 24 instrument loops, 117 musical loops etc. The folders of the pack are arranged accordingly and contain loops at various BPMs and one shots.
Does anyone know of a tutorial or on line resource that will give me a good foundation on how to use such a pack in the way it was intended to be used.

Thanks

Jonel
jonel
New here
https://glenavon.online

Re: Using Commercial Samples to create tracks

Postby The Bunk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:02 am

jonel wrote:I have just been looking at a copy of Computer Music magazine (CM 224) which provided me with a sample pack called Arabian Nights from Groove Criminals and Cyclick. This pack is documented as containing 4 hand drum kits, 5 tambourine kits, 24 instrument loops, 117 musical loops etc. The folders of the pack are arranged accordingly and contain loops at various BPMs and one shots.
Does anyone know of a tutorial or on line resource that will give me a good foundation on how to use such a pack in the way it was intended to be used.

Thanks

Jonel

First up, don't be embarrassed asking a question like this. Most of my 700+ posts are of this type ;)
As regards using packs like this, I do this a lot. I buy both Computer Music and Music Tech mags largely for their sample packs with the idea of constructing "songs" or tracks from them. To answer the question of using a pack in the way it is intended to be used...my view is that there is no definitive answer. Use them as you like; my usual method is just to listen to all the samples and pick one from which I build the whole track, be it a drum loop, synth loop, a melody, whatever. Just play around. And personally I wouldn't stick to one genre; I'd often find e.g. a "jazzy" type drum loop and stick synth / piano / whatever melody loops on top of it. It's really just a question of playing around; I don't believe there's a "right" or a "wrong" way to do anything. You can of course change BPM rates and keys within a certain amount.

I'm not familiar with Ableton - I use Reaper but I would image it would be a similar process. So what I would do is start with a drum loop, extend it for however long (3-4 minutes usually as a start), slap on e.g. a synth melody for a few bars, and build it from there.
There may be wiser heads around here that can point you in the direction of the specific question but my view would be, as in any issue with musical creativity, there is not necessarily meant to be a right or wrong way of doing it.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Re: Using Commercial Samples to create tracks

Postby The Bunk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:03 am

- sorry, one other point which I'm sure will also get mentioned. If you're intending to go public, check the copyright on the samples. Some state they're "royalty free"; others either don't, or aren't. You need to be careful with the latter.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster