You are here

Minor Major 7th

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Minor Major 7th

Postby GilesAnt » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:16 pm

I thought I 'knew' most chords but I only came across this the other day when trying to add ukulele/guitar chord symbols to a small arrangement.

The notes are (for example) C - E flat - G - B natural.

The original music I was using lazily called this C minor - which it ain't. I thought maybe it was C minor augmented 7th or something like that, but after a brief search found it described online as a minor/major 7th - enough to confuse many I'm sure.

Has it always been called this - I can't find it specifically named in any of my old music books.
GilesAnt
Poster

Re: Minor Major 7th

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:26 pm

I guess it depends on the context, but it feels to me as though the B strongly wants to resolve up to a C, so it could well be that it is a C minor with the B as an accented passing note.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby GilesAnt » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:35 pm

This was definitely a full chord sustained for the whole bar - the melody note is the B natural - for 4 beats too. The tune is Moonglow as it happens - bar 2 of the chorus - though I'm sure it could be harmonised in other ways too.
GilesAnt
Poster

Postby Peevy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi GilesAnt

A chord sequence which crops up here and there in say A minor where a pedal A can be held in the bass of the first five chords would be:

Am Am(maj7) Am7 Am6 Dm7 G7 C

So there is the chromatic movement within the first four chords on the notes A G# G F# then down to F (in the Dm7 chord) then resolves into Cmajor via G7.

An example which springs to mind of the above is Irving Berlin’s Blue Skies.

Or:

Am Am(maj7) Am7 Am6 … the first four chords of My Funny Valentine.

The second chord in My Funny Valentine is particularly nice because add9 (the note B) is in the melody

Its sometimes used as a fill in as well when trying to flesh out a Am (if the tune’s in Amin) held over a few bars.
Peevy
Poster

Postby GilesAnt » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the insight Peevy, this makes a bit of sense now. The first 4 bars of Moonglow (in the arrangement I am using as a start point) go:-

Am6 - C min/maj7 - Em7 - A7

There is a descending chromatic line in these chords of E - Eflat - D - Csharp

In fact with only 4 strings on the ukulele the second chord is actually G aug (G - E flat/D sharp - G - B) as there is no spare string or finger to sound the C (in my arrangement anyway). But the harmonic context is clearly C min/maj7.

Tunes that take there time in getting to the tonic always seem to have that little bit extra to my mind. Although a rather banal little tune in many ways, Moonglow doesn't get to its tonic (G) until bar 7.
GilesAnt
Poster

Postby Peevy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi GilesAnt

Yes, all these little chromatically moving inner parts of chords from the songs mentioned above really shine. I wasn’t familiar with ‘Moonglow’ but had a quick listen and you’re right, it takes a while to land!

I would imagine it can be quite tricky to engineer such chords on ukulele (I have no working knowledge! :oops: ) in that you have to pick the essence of the chord rather than all the notes contained in it.
Peevy
Poster

Postby wireman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:51 pm

I would call it that: Cmmaj7 (don't know if you can do subscripts in this forum)
wireman
Regular