You are here

Aligning lyrics visually to represent rhythmic accuracy

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Aligning lyrics visually to represent rhythmic accuracy

Postby rikki rivett » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:01 pm

I've been analyzing Dua Lipa's “New Rules”. Apart from the great vocal and appealing production - Mike Senior wrote about it im Mix Review- I’ve been paying attention to the lyric, particularly how the vocal lines sit rhythmically. There’s something almost latin/clave-style about the way the vocals alternate between off and on beats.

I would be curious to see the lyric rhythm represented graphically. I use Logic though I’m not a score user, but I expect most notation software offers the option to align lyrics to notes. TBH I can’t be bothered to set up a score, input notes then lyrics and fiddle around myself. I’m fantasising about an app which can represent lyrics as graphical blocks or arrange them on a timeline according to length and position in relation to a pulse/beat. Actually I suppose that could theoretically also be done in any text editor. Has anyone ever played around with this idea?

Thanks and please forgive my laziness. In my defence am a drummer though, not a schooled musician, but not a generally idle person haha

RR
rikki rivett
New here

Re: Aligning lyrics visually to represent rhythmic accuracy

Postby Dr R » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:18 pm

You could use a word processor as an inelegant but zero cost option to try things out.
For example:
Set up a table with either one cell per bar or one cell per beat (for rappers), with a suitable number of horizontal cells to reflect the structure.
Put the lyrics in appropriately. If you format the cells to have no borders at all, then change the right border of the last cell for a bar to a heavy line, and individual beats to a light line, then you have something like what you might want.
Or possibly some unreadable lyrics. I don't have time right now to try it out, not sure when I will before the weekend.

Rich
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby rikki rivett » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 pm

@Dr R- yeah thanks, had a simliar thought

Actually- heheh- I'm finding my BRAIN does the job quite well (!)- I've been listebning to the song over & over and it's a lot of fun getting familiar with all the patterns in the arrangement

Cheers

RR
rikki rivett
New here

Postby Matt Houghton » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:48 am

You can put text objects on the timeline in Reaper and in Revoice Pro. I'm sure there are other apps that suport this... you could use Cubase's markers or Arrange Track for example. Though the text itself may be longer/shorter than the actual sound so you'll sometimes only be able to mark the onset, not the whole duration of a word/syllable...

If it needs to be on a score then Cubase allows you to define your own key-switch expressions... so you could conceivably use MIDI notes to place these words at the correct point on a score. But that would be hellishly fiddly! I don't know how other DAWs handle this...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm

You seem prepared to go to a great deal of trouble and effort to avoid using standard music notation. Which does exactly what you're asking for, and is available in your existing software.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.