You are here

Sibelius design faults

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Sibelius design faults

Postby Gone To Lunch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Harsh, but I must admit I am finding it very difficult for these reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKx1wnXClcI
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: Sibelius design faults

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:28 am

Omg!

Still laughing! :bouncy:

It reminds me of all those horrible wilderness years in the 90s on Windows, and some of the worst software designs ever - Word, Frontpage, Filemaker Pro and Quark Xpress being the worst offenders for me...

On the plus side, Dorico really did give them a chance to start from scratch with something modern, and avoid the mess that Sibelius became...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby mac.churchmouse » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 am

Gone To Lunch wrote:Harsh, but I must admit I am finding it very difficult for these reasons
Me too. What were they thinking? :thumbdown:
Which is why I am still keeping an old G4 laptop with Sibelius 3 on it! Quite good enough to provide intricate orchestral and vocal scores for professional performance.
And easy to use! :thumbup:
mac.churchmouse
Poster

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:50 pm

I watched that a few days ago, trouble is I would have to invest a lot of time to be sure an alternative was actually better. The same guy has a video on Hallelujah covers.
wireman
Regular

Postby Gone To Lunch » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 am

wireman wrote:I watched that a few days ago, trouble is I would have to invest a lot of time to be sure an alternative was actually better. The same guy has a video on Hallelujah covers.

I went to a Dorico demo earlier this year, and it had addressed alot of the criticisms in the video. Dorico also includes a cut-down Cubase sequencer, which is dandy for Cubase users. But not much help to me in Digital Performer. Shame.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:49 am

I enjoyed that!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Really good video. He is wrong about Finale, it is exceptional software but Sibelius users can become a bit cult like.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 pm

I don't use Sibelius much at all but my wife spends hours most days with it. Let's just say if there is a Sibelius cult, my wife isn't part of it.

CC

PS if you must use Sibelius do yourself a favour and get NotePerformer (also available for Dorico).
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby wireman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:PS if you must use Sibelius do yourself a favour and get NotePerformer (also available for Dorico).

How good is it? Can it spot romantic/baroque pieces and alter performance appropriately (keyboard)?
wireman
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 pm

If there's a cult in the scoring software world, it's around Dorico (and anti-Sibelius).

The unquestioned bad treatment of the Sibelius development team by Avid, and the team's subsequent pick up by Steinberg, to develop Dorico, has lead to a cult where Dorico can do no wrong and Sibelius no right.

As in certain current political questions, facts are secondary to convictions :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:15 pm

wireman wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:PS if you must use Sibelius do yourself a favour and get NotePerformer (also available for Dorico).

How good is it? Can it spot romantic/baroque pieces and alter performance appropriately (keyboard)?

The downside of NP is that it alters performance of ALL scores in a quest for 'expression', and it's a non-switchable feature.

This can enhance a lyrical style, sabotage a rhythmic one.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:12 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote: Let's just say if there is a Sibelius cult, my wife isn't part of it.

When a Sibelius user looks at me using Finale I get "in Sibelius you just do this, it's so easy". Or you send a score as Music XML and you get the complaint that it doesn't open properly - no it doesn't, because Sibelius is not fully compliant.

Then there are all the celebrity endorsements along the lines of "when you are at top of your profession like me you need to use Sibelius, it's like the only professional option".

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:24 am

My wife uses it because it was the standard at uni when she was doing her degree. At least she got it at academic pricing, a substantial reduction (she's still on 7.5 and staying there).

Exalted Wombat wrote:The downside of NP is that it alters performance of ALL scores in a quest for 'expression', and it's a non-switchable feature.

This can enhance a lyrical style, sabotage a rhythmic one.

I'm not the user and can only go by what my wife has shown me, but she says that unless you use the articulations and put in plenty of expression then NP can sound much too rhythmic and staccato. In other words the opposite of what I think you're describing.

To get the best of NP then you have to work with it, but if you do then the result is greatly superior to Sibelius Sounds. It's not going to replace sound libraries and you're not going to make marketable audio with it, but decent mock-ups seem to be within its capabilities in her experience. It seems to us a bargain at the price and out of the box also works with Dorico and Finale.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:05 am

You should know what the score sounds like in your head and use the playback as a guide and way of checking the score. Hindemith would make his students play their harmony exercises on the harmonium so they could not use expression.
Sampled instruments interact as samples, not real instruments, therefore it is unreliable to use samples to check the orchestration.