You are here

Anyone recognise this instrument ?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Anyone recognise this instrument ?

Postby smimi-me » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 am

There's this piece by Arvo Part which features a percussion instrument I can't recognise. Does anyone know what it is, or how one would recreate it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdgZAJVnes

You can hear it four times between 1:16 and 1;22, the first time right after the plucked violin, a second time at 1:19, and two more times. It's a sort of deep drum (I'm guessing a timpani ?) with a high ring on top.

It's this high ring which puzzles me - anyone know what instrument that is ? It has a very muted quality to it (short decay/release) despite its high-pitched resonance, which is why it intrigues me so.
smimi-me

Re: Anyone recognise this instrument ?

Postby Smellthevalve » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:44 am

This sounds like ‘Fratres for violin, strings and percussion ‘
I had assumed the ring was a separate percussion instrument like a wood block or claves played in time with the drum although on the CD I have there is no information on the specific instruments sadly.
Smellthevalve
Regular

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 am

Smellthevalve wrote:This sounds like ‘Fratres for violin, strings and percussion ‘
I had assumed the ring was a separate percussion instrument like a wood block or claves played in time with the drum although on the CD I have there is no information on the specific instruments sadly.

I remember reading that it was claves and a bass drum played together. It is so accurate that I wonder if there was a special recording technique, such as a microphone on both instruments and mixed separately. On another Arvo Pärt recording there was an electronically processed wind harp.

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:33 am

Here's a link to a pdf preview of part of the score.

https://www.universaledition.com/arvo-p ... atres-2548

Percussion is listed as Claves and Grand Cassa (kick drum). Written on a single line, so I presume they are played together.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby smimi-me » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks so much guys! Never would've thought the mysterious instrument to be mere claves ... :) Goes to show what kind of results you can get out of so simple an instrument if used well I guess
smimi-me

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:17 pm

As the part for clave and GC (coperta) oppure Tomtom starts at pp goes to mf then back to p I would guess it is a very soft mallet used on the big drum so there is virtually no attack from the drum but the clave defines the attack.

In searching for the Italian meaning of the phrase I could only find individual words. Oppure means covered. Maybe the drum is also muffled by hand or other dampener? Anybody know what the phrase means?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Only a guess but as it is one player, one clave is maybe laid on the bass drum and struck with the other clave.