You are here

Does anyone know what this instrument is?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Does anyone know what this instrument is?

Postby Baldo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Can someone tell me what this string instrument is please on this track from 1.06 to 1.20. I would like to find some loops or similar sounding tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcu226BZwE

It sounds like a japanese koto but I am not sure.

Are there also other instruments like this that I should be looking at?

many thanks.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: Does anyone know what this instrument is?

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Sounds like one of those hammered dulcimer-type thingies.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:00 pm

^^^ reckon so.

Recently been listening to House of Waters - amazing dulcimer player.

https://youtu.be/Xb3qEG8N_E4?t=63
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:56 pm

I think it could be a shamisen.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm

A Koto I reckon, (as the OP said) a Japanese hammered dulcimer. It's definitely hammered not plucked either way and the playing style doesn't match up with a Western Hammered Dulcimer. The instrument playing after it sounds plucked so maybe that's a Shamisen, the bends/glisses would be impossible on a Koto but the non-sounding string resonances evident in the 'Koto' part would not be there on a Shamisen.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:A Koto I reckon, (as the OP said) a Japanese hammered dulcimer. It's definitely hammered not plucked.

But the koto is plucked...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:48 pm

You are right, BG :blush: I still reckon the instrument in question is hammered not plucked so.........

one of these maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmFydkRMeI
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby kinglouis » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Its hammered so unlikely to be a koto. More likely to be a dulcimer / cimbalom played in an appropriately far eastern style to suit the track.

For virtual instruments, Logic has a pretty decent hammered dulcimer, East West Ra has a great cimbalon, but there are countless very good sampled instruments of either instrument from a wide variety of libraries.

Or you can pick up an actual hammered dulcimer (not to be confused with the Appalachian dulcimer played so beautifully by Joni Mitchell, which is a totally different instrument) for not a massive sum. The only problem with them is they take a long time to tune! But they are worth it for their gorgeous playability.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby innerchord » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Can anyone be certain that it's hammered and not plucked?
It sounds plucked to me; the koto is plucked and not hammered, so I say it's a koto (albeit a rather thin, bright and metallic-sounding one) :)
Don't be fooled be the tremolo notes, which are common in koto playing.
And listen to the slap of the lowest string played. That's plucked, not struck.
innerchord
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:59 pm

We are all making our best guess but there appear to be two lead instruments in that recording, the first, playing from 0' 53" util 2' 22" sounds hammered to me, the other, playing from 2' 26" 'till 3' 56" sounds like it is plucked then the first reappears at 4' 00" 'till 5' 10".

A review of the album on Amazon says :- "The liner notes say "all music composed, arranged, performed, produced, mixed, and recorded by Guy Sweens". The instruments that he plays on this CD include the sitar, dulcimer, koto, santur, tampura, malay bunga seruling flute, shakuhachi flute, indian bass and alto flute, strings, tabla, bass guitar, various percussion, tibetan bowls, and indian vocals."

I suspect the second instrument is sitar, the first, dulcimer (hammered, though the notes don't specify that).

Guy seems very active still, maybe an email to him would answer the question (please put us out of our collective misery if he does give an informative answer) http://www.guysweens.com/home
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby georgeduke » Fri May 24, 2019 12:09 pm

For me it sounds like a type of dulcimer but not 100%.
Very strange, I never saw this kind of instrument.
georgeduke
New here
"A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets."
Arthur C. Clarke

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm not sure what it is either but it reminds me very much of an interesting looking contraption played in Jarre's China Concerts here: https://youtu.be/uTyAtn177zo?t=2637
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby BJG145 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:reminds me very much of an interesting looking contraption

Is that a Guzheng...? Makes me want to rewatch House of Flying Daggers.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 24, 2019 7:59 pm

BJG145 wrote:Is that a Guzheng...?

Nice identify! Googling pictures of one I think it probably is. Whether or not it's the instrument in the recording referenced by the OP I don't know but it certainly sounds somewhat similar to me (given the relative differences in fidelity, genre and processing).

Still, there are a number of instruments that have sounds in those general areas so my jury remains out ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com