You are here

Why are 2 notes being sang at once

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Why are 2 notes being sang at once

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Interesting to see if this forum is more then just sound engineering

But if you look at this score on the 3rd page for the voice staff there are 2 keys being played at once, well I don't know about you but I can only hear one note being played in that

Is this over tone singing or is it 2 choruses put onto the same staff to save on paper?

I mean the heading of the score says it's acapella when there are clearly other instruments being played. I mean it's not even in the right key to that of the original of E may/ C# min

https://musescore.com/user/125840/scores/635471

Re: Why are 2 notes being sang at once

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Maybe because it's two guys singing, sometimes in unison, sometimes in harmony...

You can have acapellas with multiple parts, if you have multiple singers.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:13 pm

music master wrote:Interesting to see if this forum is more then just sound engineering

Well, yes...you haven't discovered the discussion about budgerigars?
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:16 pm

BJG145 wrote:Well, yes...you haven't discovered the discussion about budgerigars?

Wait, there's discussions about budgerigars? Is there some secret "Bird" sub-forum that I wasn't invited too?

My neighbours' cat awaits further information... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:20 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

music master wrote:Interesting to see if this forum is more then just sound engineering

But if you look at this score on the 3rd page for the voice staff there are 2 keys being played at once, well I don't know about you but I can only hear one note being played in that

Is this over tone singing or is it 2 choruses put onto the same staff to save on paper?

I mean the heading of the score says it's acapella when there are clearly other instruments being played. I mean it's not even in the right key to that of the original of E may/ C# min

https://musescore.com/user/125840/scores/635471" target="phpbbpopup

Yup, a capella simply means without instruments but not necessarily solo voice. In that score the 'other instruments' are the choir of soprano. alto, tenor and bass voices (presumably oohing or aahing for much of the piece). Presumably, as Desmond says, the double notes indicate two singers singing in harmony. Whether they also sing in unison during the rest of the song is unclear but going off the original recording I'd say that is the intention.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:00 am

There is only me going to be singing this to this backing track
https://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/karao ... miles.html
But the track has backing vocals anyway so at a guess do you think it's the top of bottom line the backing vocals is singing?